Advice: bleeding gash from beak

Indyrun

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 8, 2014
Brisbane Australia
I've just come home to find my drake has a gash in his beak and a small amount of blood.
What should I do? Should I clean and use a waterproof bandage? Or take to vet? I'm concerned about infection.

I've just come home to find my drake has a gash in his beak and a small amount of blood.
What should I do? Should I clean and use a waterproof bandage? Or take to vet? I'm concerned about infection.
What have you do so far? I'd at least put some ACV into his drinking bucket, it has antibacterial proprieties and may help keep any bacteria from starting an infection. I used it with my gander who punctured his bill last year and it healed up fine. If you can post a pic that would help too.

I would avoid ACV because vinegar STINGS in a cut, and I wouldn't drink water that kept stinging me when I tried.
I use it all the time they don't act like it phases them it's only 1-2 tab to 1 gallon of water.Of course it would sting if using it alone. It is also a tonic for us and our flocks.

Thank you for advice.
I took him to the vet (non avian) and they have given me tablets to give him.
I'm supposed to try and put them in his mouth!
How I'm going to do this is beyond me!

Thank you for advice.
I took him to the vet (non avian) and they have given me tablets to give him.
I'm supposed to try and put them in his mouth!
How I'm going to do this is beyond me!
i use bread to give pills to my flock doesn't take much you can even split the pill so it's smaller but just take enough bread to wrap the pill in it and squeeze to shut so it's all around the pill, then give him a few small pieces of bread to whet his appetite then give him the one with the pill in it. Just do this without the other flock around or someone else my get his pill my guys act like vultures when i try to use bread to medicate, they love bread so much. [I only give it to them very sparingly]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom