I don't think thats a Chicken...

Christags07

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 10, 2013
Chicago
Look out the window and see this guy having a good time in the Coop. Thankfully the chickens were not in there during his visit. Looks like I need to fence in the hens and put some bird screen on top. I thought being in Chicago my only predator concern were cats and raccoons.

Beautiful bird! Maybe not so beautiful in the chicken coop, though... Yes, definitely put a cover on your run. I think you'd be surprised at the predators that come through in the night. When my son was going to college in St. Paul, MN he saw a coyote crossing a 4-lane highway one night. There are also deer that live there. (I know, the deer aren't predators, but it did surprise me to know they were in St. Paul)

Yup, I had one just like it in my coop several years ago. Flew in after a hen right through their 18 in x 18 in pop door. Found it when I went in to collect eggs. Now they have a covered run.

Look out the window and see this guy having a good time in the Coop. Thankfully the chickens were not in there during his visit. Looks like I need to fence in the hens and put some bird screen on top. I thought being in Chicago my only predator concern were cats and raccoons.

Looks like an immature Cooper's hawk, glad he didn't get any chickens. Thanks for the video.

Tomorrow I'm building a temporary run out of PVC till I can build a cedar addition to their existing run.

After a bit of research kinda leaning peregrine falcon. There's a whole family living in the park next to our house. They were stalking my kids today now...LOL.

Last edited:
We have quite a few hawks in the area so we are constantly afraid of hawks because our chooks are bantams. The breeder who sold them to us had two carried off
hide.gif
. I think the chickens have forgotten what a hawk sounds like because they don't usually comt too often due to the fact I chased them off with a open umbrella...
old.gif

Definitely not a peregrine, it's a cooper's hawk. It has a super long tail like most acciptrine hawks do, and it had the immature barring one would have. Besides, I've never heard of a peregrine flying into a chicken coop, they descend from on high and are not direct pursuers like Cooper's are.

Peregrine-

Cooper's Hawk:

Back
Top Bottom