Blue Jay Bird Problem, Any Solutions?

SilkieSilkie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
Early this morning, I let 5 of my chickens who are 4-5 weeks old out while I watered the lawn so they can eat some grass before I put them in the coop and run. I had them out for no more than 5 minutes, and I was about 30 feet away while two Blue Jay birds out of now where nose dive down at my chickens. I saw two of my chickens leaped away in slow motion. I dropped the water hose, went to my shed and pull out the BB Gun Rifle. While I was loading the BB Gun Rifle, the two Blue Jays were perching on the far end fence no more than 70 feet away from me. As I put them in the scope of my rifle, they took flight and left. I was a few seconds too late.

I had this problem about 3 weeks ago which one of the Blue Jay bird grabbed one of my baby silkie chick and killed it. Didn't eat anything just pecked all it's white feather/fur off and left it dead out in the far out yard. I few days later, I'm confident that I killed that same bird. Shot it directly on the neck killing it. I thought my worries are gone since that would be my only predator. There is no other animal in this area that will be able to kill chicken.

Since this problem has come back, I'm looking for a way to get these Blue Jay. I believed there is about four of them.

Anyone have any idea on some kind of trap in trapping Blue Jay size birds?

My neighbor recommended making a pole bird water bath that's about 4 feet tall standing and hooking up a Horse 110 Volt Fence Charger which will zap the Blue Jay if they land there to bathe.

My concern will be that other smaller birds will fly to the water bath and get shock. It's just the Blue Jay birds that is the problem.
This problem needs to be taken care of. As I plan to let my chickens roam my back yard full time soon. It's a waste to waste grass on a 1.10 acres lawn.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Blue Jays are protected by the Migratory Bird Act. You're asking us to help you commit a federal felony.

4 week old chicks need more cover/protection than you're giving them. They really shouldn't be out alone.

Many birds will go to a bath for water so no, I absolutely would not use that solution, if it can be called that. I would just keep the young birds under cover in a pen until they are large enough that the blue jays are no longer an issue.

True blue jays are protected ones under the law and you can't harm them in any way. I think a better solution for you will be using the services of bird control service like the Hawkeye http://www.hawkeye.ca/
They have trained hawks that will keep such birds away. Don't worry they won't hurt or kill these birds. I think this will a great solution for you. I've been to their falconry school once with the kids and they showed us how trained their birds are. Try it, might be of great help for you.

Back
Top Bottom