Nest boxes leaking when it rains

scootchick

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 1, 2014
Can anyone give me some advice on how to better waterproof my nesting boxes? They extend out from the coop (with no roof over them) and are topped with tongue and groove pine.

I tried some silicone caulking around the edges, that didn't work. Then I found some stick-on window flashing and that's helped a little, but they are still getting water in them when it rains. Frustrating! Can anyone suggest what material I can use and how to install it? I'm lost!

Yes get some cover over it for sure. It would be nice to see a pick to get a better idea of how we can help. If it is leaking where the box attaches to the coop there is a cheap way to fix that. Here's what I done on mine, the pic doesn't show it well. I bought the vinyl boarder that goes around the wall and meets the floor for a couple bucks at Lowes. It has a lip on the vinyl and I pinched that to the coop with a board that can be replaced at any time because the vinyl won't last forever but at the price it cost, no biggie. We had a 4'' beat down rain the other day and it was dry as a powder house.Here's a pic

Thanks for the tips! I wish I knew how to execute these fixes! I've never shingled anything before. Here's a photo of the coop, the boxes are on the sides. They seem to take in water on the outer edges, not so much the top. The shiny stuff is the window flashing I stuck on.

Also... should I use stain or a sealant on the coop? It's pine and I want it to last a while.

Last edited:

Thanks for the tips! I wish I knew how to execute these fixes! I've never shingled anything before. Here's a photo of the coop, the boxes are on the sides. They seem to take in water on the outer edges, not so much the top. The shiny stuff is the window flashing I stuck on.

Also... should I use stain or a sealant on the coop? It's pine and I want it to last a while.

I would definitely put something on the wood to preserve it because in a couple years it will start to leave.

Back
Top Bottom