Mesquite Trees and Seed Pods

MrsFitzDarcy

Songster
5 Years
Jul 26, 2014
Tucson, AZ
My new flock lives under a beautiful mesquite tree. When they free range, they love, love, love the leaves, live or dead. They don't seem to show any interest in the mesquite seed pods, curiously. I know mesquite can be turned into flour. Horses love them, but if you have a horse prone to colic or with Cushings (or other metabolic disorder) limit the amount as they are high in starch and sugar. Anyhow, I was wondering if mesquite seeds/pods are safe for chickens, and if so, is there a way to make them more appealing? It would help with the feed bill and clean up the yard.

My new flock lives under a beautiful mesquite tree. When they free range, they love, love, love the leaves, live or dead. They don't seem to show any interest in the mesquite seed pods, curiously. I know mesquite can be turned into flour. Horses love them, but if you have a horse prone to colic or with Cushings (or other metabolic disorder) limit the amount as they are high in starch and sugar. Anyhow, I was wondering if mesquite seeds/pods are safe for chickens, and if so, is there a way to make them more appealing? It would help with the feed bill and clean up the yard.
My understanding is that there is currently research into using mesquite seed to replace the corn and soy in many livestock feeds. It is high in lysine and very good for most animals. Check this website
http://www.feedipedia.org/node/554. I found it when I was trying to see about mesquite and goats and hogs.

Back
Top Bottom