new here

Phillip911

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
Arizona
Hello my name is phill and I am new here.
Raised dual purpose chickens and other critters growing up now I have a family of my own and am teaching them how to do it.
I love critters and as a kid if I could catch it I brought it home to be a pet. This included everything from wild birds to skunks LOL.
I raise them as both pets and food some just earn the right to live or are not good to eat.

Welcome to BYC from Louisiana, i grew up the same way as you discribe and now have 77 total mixed flock
welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC, Phill! Glad you decided to join our flock. You're childhood sounds like my childhood. I had all kinds of critters growing up in the country. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

I am from Arizona. I grew up raising animals but never had the chance to do it as an adult until this year and I decided to go back to my roots in a big way.
First I built my chicken coop and run from the ground up.
The idea was to start of with about 25 baby chicks and I only planned to have chickens.
By the time every thing was said and done I ended up with 55 chicks, 4 ducklings, and 6 turkey polts.
In the process of brooding them all I lost 2 of my chicks (Bantams) and 4 of my turkeys with in 24 to 48 hours.
I have a mixed flock of chickens now that consists of
White leghorns
Buff orpingtons
Silver laced Wyandot's
red sex links
black sex links
Rhode island reds
ameracaunas
blue austrolorps
and bantams

I still have 2 of the ducks Indian runners (2 have become dinner) and my 2 turkeys a large bronze tom and a royal palm hen

Then Easter came along and we saw a couple of rabbits we liked so I ended up building 4 pen rabbit hutch with nesting boxes from the ground up and a total of 10 rabbits.

And through out all of this I built and planted a garden in raised garden beds in my back yard.

It has been a very busy spring and summer for my family but we have enjoyed every minute of it.

And now for the best part 2 days ago I went out to my coop to check on my flock and discovered that one of my hens decided it was time to leave a present in the middle of the coop floor I found a large egg.
I had not yet built nesting boxes for my hens so in a flurry that night before it got dark I put together a set of 8 nesting boxes.
Yesterday I found another egg this one much smaller so I had a mystery was my hen laying different size eggs or did 2 of my hens decide to start leaving me presents.
I got my answer today when I found 2 eggs 1 large and one small.
I am so proud of my girls that are growing up and will soon be filling my fridge with fresh eggs

You have a very nice mixed flock; some egg laying machines with the Sex Links. The Black Sex Links are my favorite as mine have been friendlier and slightly better layers in really cold weather than my Reds. The Australorp is my favorite standard breed; very hardy, calm and gentle, and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. The Ameraucanas (actually ours are Easter Eggers, as true Ameraucanas lay only blue eggs) are my granddaughter's favorites. She loves the different colored eggs they lay. My daughter used to raise Netherland Dwarf rabbits and supplied the local pet stores with them. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom