New to BYC

darajosami

Songster
5 Years
Jul 31, 2014
South West Victoria, Australia
Hi I am new to BYC but not so new to chickens, I used to have 12 Rhode Island (I think that is what they are) cant post pic

I have been offered by a friend 3 or 4 Silkie hens and one Silkie rooster and I have ordered a an incubator.

I am from Australia and have three boys aged 9, 7 and 5 in September. I do have a few questions so will post them in relevant threads.

I am being given some Silkie hens and a rooster and wasnt sure if I should just stick with Silkie's or if I should get some Rhode Island hens also and cross breed them with the SIlkie Rooster.

The main thing I am unsure of is, if I need to get rid of (sell or giveaway) the fertilized eggs and/or chicks will they be easy to get rid of? I was considering selling chicks and/or fertilized eggs once I have the flock I want but am not sure how the cross breeds will go also.

Any advice for a novice?

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! You will have to talk to your locals and see what the interest is like. Some crosses can be nice, but some won't be popular. I know both Silkies and RIR are very popular breeds, so I'd keep them pure and sell chicks and hatching eggs from both.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! You will have to talk to your locals and see what the interest is like. Some crosses can be nice, but some won't be popular. I know both Silkies and RIR are very popular breeds, so I'd keep them pure and sell chicks and hatching eggs from both.

So I am assuming in order to do that I will need to keep them separated? I am assuming that the Silkie rooster will mate with the RIR and vice versa

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, you will probably be best off with purebreds, so you will need to keep the breeds separated, roosters/hens will mate with any breeds. Silkies are also often a problem in mixed flocks with getting bullied and getting their crests plucked etc, and RIR are often a very bossy breed, so you may need to keep them separated anyhow.

I am being given some Silkie hens and a rooster and wasnt sure if I should just stick with Silkie's or if I should get some Rhode Island hens also and cross breed them with the SIlkie Rooster.

The main thing I am unsure of is, if I need to get rid of (sell or giveaway) the fertilized eggs and/or chicks will they be easy to get rid of? I was considering selling chicks and/or fertilized eggs once I have the flock I want but am not sure how the cross breeds will go also.

Any advice for a novice?

If you cross breed them, the offspring will lose the traits that people find so appealing in both breeds. The offspring will lack the cuteness of the Silkies and the good egg laying ability (smaller eggs and not near as many) of the RIRs. Also, some RIRs can be a bit on the aggressive side and you may find that will batter your Silkies. If possible, I would keep them separate and breed each one within its own breed. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I will stay with Sikies as all chickens are free range, as in no run just locked up at night and the whole 4 acres for the day unless Im out and then they stay in until Im home due to neighbours dogs. Learnt that one the hard way
rant.gif
somad.gif
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom