Newbie here again with a breed question :)

chicken cutie

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 21, 2014
Illinois
Currently we were given 3 hens and a rooster. I am still super new to the chicken world but thank God for BYC lol ! So I was told the hens are Black austrolorps and the rooster is Salmon Flavor? Idk if that's correct lol

A lady online just offered be 6 hens and a rooster that are Hyline Browns?

Please tell me is it ok to have the two different breeds? I'm going more for eggs but would love to hatch some out eventually! Will that be a problem with two roosters ?!

Will two roosters be a problem ( should add that my rooster was kept with another that are the same breed as him and they got along like pals lol)

Is the Hyline Brown a good layer?
Help! :) thank you!!!!!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. Yes, different breeds will mix together just fine, but you need to be careful about the number of roosters you have. The recommended ratio is 1 rooster for very 10 hens. More than that can quickly led to aggression, fights, and over-bred and battered hens. Hyline Browns are one of many labels used by some hatcheries for their Red Sex Link hybrids, and they are egg laying machines. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Michael X2 You can mix many different breeds. Chickens don't know the difference.

As for 2 roosters, you will either need to rehome one of the boys or get more hens. As Michael says here, the ratio is 1 to 8 to 10 hens. Any less, and they can over mate the hens, causing damage or even hurting them. So you might just keep one roo.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Thanks everyone! I think I will be keeping my rooster I have currently because I love him haha but glad to know that it would be ok for the hens!!!

One more question! They have a duck they were gonna give me too lol!! What the heck do I do with the duck!? I want it but I know nothing about them
Are they ok with the rooster and hens?

Thanks everyone! I think I will be keeping my rooster I have currently because I love him haha but glad to know that it would be ok for the hens!!!

One more question! They have a duck they were gonna give me too lol!! What the heck do I do with the duck!? I want it but I know nothing about them
Are they ok with the rooster and hens?

Do you know what breed and if the duck is male or female? If it's a male, it can cause some serious injuries trying to breed with you hens.

Maybe it would be best to learn how to raise the chickens first. I have a feeling everyone is going to dump, err I mean gift you with birds they don't want. Welcome to BYC

Thanks, my current chickens were given to me by family as I was telling them I had planned to get chickens soon and they were helping me get a start,

I appreciate everyone's help. I have learned a ton and have become completely addicted to this site

Maybe it would be best to learn how to raise the chickens first. I have a feeling everyone is going to dump, err I mean gift  you with birds they don't want.    Welcome to BYC

Back
Top Bottom