Can anyone ID please?

Scottiemom

Songster
6 Years
Mar 20, 2014
Nine Mile Falls, WA
So, three of these little guys have been hanging around my chicken coop/run and I was wondering what they were. I am in eastern Washington state. At first glance, I thought "turkey poult" but definitely not. I thought maybe they were ringneck pheasants. I haven't seen a hen at all and pheasants are in the area, just not usually this close to my house (we live in a little more wooded area).

Thanks for the ID. I was just Googling and guessing so far.
smile.png

Well, those pictures are all of the same one. The two other chicks are smaller and don't have any face markings, so I guess they might be hens. It's been extremely hot and dry here, so I put out some water, a little bit of scratch and All Flock poultry food. Still haven't seen a hen. If there is no hen, think they will survive on their own at this age?

Not that I know of. There are seven now and they come by multiple times a day, every day. I still haven't seen a hen (or any adults for that matter) but, the little ones are very regular visitors. We have large alfalfa fields around here, but they are mostly a mile or two down the road. I'll keep putting out feed and water for them and keep an ear out for any breeders in the area. Thanks!

They are probably birds that hatched from wild birds.Well maybe the adults were stocked,but according to fish and game they claim that the birds they release will not breed.But then they claim they are natives.So how do they repopulate?I would say that 90% of released birds are killed by either hunters,predators or car accidents.The other 5% seem to find each other and yes breed and hatch birds and repopulate their area.I've always had the idea of releasing ringnecks behind my parents camp,but I have never done it.I did take a walk out back of their camp in May and almost stepped on a partridge who had 4 eggs in her nest.I have yet to return and see if they hatched or not.It was good to see a hen with eggs as I did hear some last fall and have seen many rabbits in the area where I have never seen there before.
In N.H.,Tony.

I'm betting they are wild, but I guess they could be from a breeder. I know there are wild ones around. We also have lots of quail, some grouse, and turkeys.

Back
Top Bottom