First night in the coop!

Newchickey

Songster
9 Years
Mar 27, 2014
Excited and terrified. They are 6 weeks this weekend, this is the first night in the coop. They have been going out during the day for more than 2 weeks and in at dusk. I went out as is was getting darker and sat on my stool in there and they were all at my feet cry, they expected me to gather them up and bring them in. They dont even all really fit in my tote anymore! lol (20 of them)

Just checked on them, 6 huddled up on one roost, 3 on another, the rest on the floor. I have the brinsea brooder down there as Columbian Wyandotte roo is very slow feathering out. And one of my silkie bantams is half the size of the other. Between the others and brinsea I am trusting they will stay warm. I am sure I will be going out a couple of times tonight. I have made the coop and run as secure as I possible can.

1/2 hardware wire on the entire run including the roof. Double locks on run and coop door. Wire over all windows and the hardware cloth is buried 1 foot down and 1 foot out all the way around. And...coyote pee granules all the way around to! lol

Always an exciting time when we move them out into the big world. They are after all our babies… How do you like your yellow electric hen? They seem like such a good idea for brooding and such. Well I hope your first and or second night out went off with no problems for the peeps nor you. I get up to check on mine too, nothing wrong with that. Love them and enjoy them, little ones are a gift.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

First Day in the Run Yesterday! And bedtime was a riot. I turned their red light on inside the coop, they are used to it from their brooder. (not a heat lamp) thinking it would help them go in as it got dark. I went and sat in the run at dusk. Mistake, but a fun one. They are so used to me gathering them up from their day in the coop for the last two weeks, putting them in a tub and hauling them inside to their brooder. They were all at my feet crying! lol they flew in my lap, on my shoulder and head!!! Ones that never go to my lap were all over me! lol It was fun, finally stood by the coop door and sort of called them in and they slowly went. Not with out a few head landings again though! Tonight, I turned on the red light and stayed away. Went out at 8:15 and all 20 were in, so I shut the door to the run and told them each good night as they chose their spot. Most on the roost, 4 on the ground, huddled together, my two tiny silkies, my blue laced Red Wyandotte and amazingily my BCM roo. He is a big boy already, but he is cuddling with them, maybe he knows they need the extra heat. Love my chickie

"Outside for the very first time!"

s
0.jpg

That's so cool! I am putting mine out tomorrow for the first time too. I've been letting them visit during the day, but tomorrow is the night! I'm nervous too. So glad your girls (and boy) are adjusting!

Back
Top Bottom