OMG my chickens ATE Mice, HELP!!!!

Anitapita

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 18, 2014
North Dakota
My Husband moved a pallet in the backyard and there was a nest of mice babies. Before we could react my chickens snatched them up and ran. I'm so grossed out but I will get over that part. My concerns, can we still eat the eggs? Will the chickens catch anything? Sorry if my question is weird but I worry a lot and have a weak stomach! Thank you!

As gross as it sounds, chickens are omnivores and eating mice is not uncommon at all. I was just today talking to a lady whose chickens ate a hummingbird! She thinks it got into the run and then exhausted itself trying to get out. She saw the commotion in the run but by the time she got out there she was too late to save the little guy. They'll also eat small snakes.

I doubt that your eggs will be any different....a mouse is just protein, and chickens catch and eat bugs all of the time. I get the "yuck" factor, though.
sickbyc.gif

Thank you for understanding my yuck factor. I actually had to sit down for a minute after it happened. I have always had a weak tummy and wasn't at all prepared for that, lol!

I wish my chickens would eat mice!! Usually once or twice a year we battle the nasty creatures, Our chickens are so darn lazy they just watch them eat the feed, same with some birds... we have to do a major de-mousing every fall and spring.. If I see one that usually means there are lots more hidden under the coop.
tongue.gif

You just gotta remember that chickens are just the living descendants of the T-Rex. Anything smaller than them and not quicker than them is fair game to be eaten by them.
lau.gif

Chickens can really help reduce the mouse population, but - be sure there is no poison bait in the area. If a chicken eats a mouse that has consumed poison, it can kill the chicken.
Agree.

My Husband moved a pallet in the backyard and there was a nest of mice babies. Before we could react my chickens snatched them up and ran. I'm so grossed out but I will get over that part. My concerns, can we still eat the eggs? Will the chickens catch anything? Sorry if my question is weird but I worry a lot and have a weak stomach! Thank you!

Best tasting eggs I ever ate.
Haha. I've seen mine eat mice before. It doesn't make the eggs taste different or anything. It just adds more protein to their diet.

You just gotta remember that chickens are just the living descendants of the T-Rex. Anything smaller than them and not quicker than them is fair game to be eaten by them.
Yes, the joke around our place is that we better not fall down while inside of the coop because the chickens would be all over us.
wink.png
Rather than T-Rex, we refer to them as velociraptors.

Back
Top Bottom