Egg production dropping on organic layer feed?

ReillyJ

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 12, 2014
Snohomish, WA
Since i switched over to an organic layer feed (have to wet it to bind with the fines) i have noticed a drop in egg production, no other factors have changed with the hens and now that i've been letting them out to free range for about a week now, you would think it would help them to be even more prolific layers.
Here's the ingredients to the organic layer feed, it has 18% protein:

http://www.scratchandpeck.com/product/naturally-free-layer/

Unfortunately i am thinking of going back to Purina Layena pellets even though they really like the organic feed. I was supplementing the Purina with BOSS, meal worms and a bit of Manna Pro Harvest Delight as a TREAT which has:

WHEAT, PEANUTS, DRIED RAISINS, DRIED TOMATOES, DRIED CARROTS, POPCORN, SUNFLOWER HEARTS, FLAX SEED, STRIPED SUNFLOWER SEEDS, SAFFLOWER SEEDS, RED MILLET, WHITE MILLET, SOYBEAN MEAL, CORN, MILO, HOMINY FEED, FEEDING OATMEAL, DRIED WHEY, DEHYDRATED ALFALFA MEAL, LINSEED MEAL, BREWERS DRIED YEAST, VEGETABLE OIL, FENUGREEK SEED, ANISE OIL, CALCIUM CARBONATE, MONOCALCIUM PHOSPHATE, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, SULFUR, IRON OXIDE, FERROUS CARBONATE, FERROUS SULFATE, COPPER OXIDE, COPPER SULFATE, MANGANOUS OXIDE, ZINC OXIDE, COBALT CARBONATE, CALCIUM IODATE, SODIUM SELENITE VITAMIN A SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, VITAMIN E SUPPLEMENT, THIAMINE MONONITRATE, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT, NIACIN SUPPLEMENT, CHOLINE CHLORIDE, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT.
Feeding Directions
Manna Pro Harvest Delight is designed to provide a nutritional treat or reward for growing and adult poultry and fowl. Feed ½ to 2 tablespoons of Harvest Delight per bird daily depending on their size. When feeding coarse grains, always provide a source of natural stones or free choice access to Manna Pro Poultry Grit.

i still give them BOSS, meal worms and a bit of the Manna Pro in addition to their organic layer feed.

Any thoughts on the drop in eggs? i really wanted to give them the best but this can't be coincidence :(

Last edited:
i just modified my post, it's 18% and yes i'm pretty sure they're not laying while free ranging, at least i think. I don't let them out of the pen/coop until about 2 pm, i think i've observed they're done laying by then

Could it also be coincidental with the time of year? Production in my coop has slowed as they are getting ready to molt and a few feathers are starting to appear on the floor.
Hmm, this is the first time i've had chickens (had them for 3 months) and i've heard about molt... so maybe? Is there a specific time of year that they do?

Well for the past 2-3 weeks i've seen a few feathers missing from all of them, just a few here/there like someone has tried to pull them out so to speak.

They were completely free range when i got them, owners just didn't care for them and i have had them in a coop/run for 5 weeks and decided to take my chances and let them out as i didn't know if they were stressed or not, so happy now to let them free range for 3-4 hrs a day.

Are you feeding the Corn and Soy Free or the Soy Free also I didn't see a 18% lay only a 16%.

Are you feeding the Corn and Soy Free or the Soy Free also I didn't see a 18% lay only a 16%.
i think the Soy Free? too lazy to go check the bag but they do get meal worms, etc. i don't know how much that raises the protein content. Hopefully they'll be getting lots of bugs, etc. while they free range

I just found this thread and wanted to comment that I experienced the same issues with my girls after switching them to an organic (countryside) layer. I switched them in the spring and had way less egg production after about six weeks. The heat/humidity were almost unbearable this summer and I sort of attributed it to that. Mine love it, eat it well and also get treats. I, too am considering going back to either Purina or Manna Pro. Did you change back? Any results?

Back
Top Bottom