Rooster or Hen? Blue Copper Maran

chixinrox

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 6, 2014
I purchased this beauty at a 'Swap', and have fallen in love with her! HER, or now that a month has passed could she be a HE? I was told she was a 3 month old, Blue Copper Maran, about a month ago. So SHE is approximately 4 months old, and showing much more of a crown, so starting to worry.
I've already had to sell some of our RIR babies, who were Roosters, so made a couple purchases and integrating our flock, which is going pretty well I must say. I just hate the thought of having to find her a new home too! She's become best buddies with a 3 month old Rhode Island White, and a beautiful 3 month old Golden Laced Whyondotte! 3 peas in pod, trying to make a home with 2 territorial RIR, who dominated the coop long before their arrival!
Was fun taking her picture.............she ended up sitting on the patio chair for some close ups! Oh, I love this bird! She's the best for carrying around, and lovin' on!

With the pictures provided I would love opinions on Rooster or Hen...............with my fingers crossed that the opinions favor HEN! Thank you!

wee.gif

:thumbsup. Thanks! I only have a flock of 5 and want it to stay that way. Certainly don't want to go through this integrating process again. 2 for 2 and I love it! She's my girl!

Ok, she is my favorite! I know we're not supposed to have a favorite, but she is......I love them all, just little miss Copper differently! Probably because she does let me hold her and carry her around more. She lays her beak on my chest and rarely fidgets to get down. So while I am here, I want to ask what it is that you all see, that favors a pullet?

Pretty Pullet. Nothing remotely roosteresque about her.

Marans are wonderful. There's nothing about them we don't think is great-- lovely temperament, beautiful soft feathers, delicious and fast growing meat (roosters 8+ lbs), gorgeous eggs, ability to be show birds, good together in a flock, early to sex, etc.. Just, you just have to educate yourself to breed them.

Even the roosters are calm and docile love bugs- (at least ours have been so far). And are not incessant crowers like our RIR. However, they are so docile, our 8lb rooster once got out and was beaten up by our 1 3/4 lb OEGB rooster. He whimpered as I put him back in his area. Poor guy... but it was kind of funny.

Back
Top Bottom