Unkown disease--Please Help!!-----

simi33

Songster
10 Years
Dec 19, 2013
Tampa, Florida
I just notice yesterday some raised round bumps with a black center on one of my turkey neck. I have 6 Red Bourbon turkeys and 3 of them are 3 months old and the other 3 are 7 weeks old. The 3 month old turkey has couple raised bumps on his neck. One of the 7 weeks old turkeys has a small bump near his eye. Can anyone tell me what they have and how to treat it please?

Probably Dry form of Fowl Pox. If you observe the putative males starting to spar with one another - separate them (virus can be spread more deeply by beaks pecking at abrasions/lacerations from sparring - can make the presentation/length of illness more severe/more sustained symptoms).

Just use some cotton swabs dipped in Betadine to daub onto the lesions/scabs once-a-day. This keeps them `disinfected' & will help dry them out. Not much more one can do but wait for it to run its course.
Most often, the Dry Form is more of an irritant than potentially dangerous illness.

http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/fowlpox/fowlpox_in_chickens_and_turkeys.html

Not sure if this is correct (still learning ) but the top pic. to me looks like it's from bot flies.

The top pic is round and black... I know black head is probably not what they have, but what doez black head look like if we ever get turkeys? How long til death and can it be treated?

You might want to get that checked out if you haven't already did, or if you started treated them.

Good Luck!
frow.gif

Turkenstein25

Back
Top Bottom