Just lost one of my girls!

Sharon Bee

Songster
6 Years
Apr 8, 2013
Ontario
I just found my prettiest chicken dead in the coop by the nests! :'( They were all fine at 5:00 when I went to gather eggs. I was just closing them up for the night at 8:00 and found her. No sign of a struggle. The others are fine.

What could have happened? They are all about 15 months old.

Last edited:
No predator. There was no sign of injury. She was the prettiest too. Just one of those things I guess.

I only get one comment out of all the thousands of people on this website? ?
Thanks for your interest.

I'm sorry for your loss! What a strange thing! And you hadn't noticed any sign of illness?

Sorry for your loss. That's so very hard, I can't even imagine.
Unfortunately, without more information, I think all people can give you is vague guesses and sympathy.
Is there anything else you could tell? Are the others acting normal? Anything she could have gotten into?

I hope someone with more experience can help you figure it out.

Thank you.
The remaining 10 seem to be fine and doing their thing. I've been reading online and I guess it happens, suddenly dying. Heart attack. She didn't seem to have anything in her crop though. She was the nicest in personality also. Very calm and had a pretty song. Very regal. I called her Elizabeth Taylor.

Last edited:
Thank you.
The remaining 10 seem to be fine and doing their thing. I've been reading online and I guess it happens, suddenly dying. Heart attack. She didn't seem to have anything in her crop though. She was the nicest in personality also. Very calm and had a pretty song. Very regal. I called her Elizabeth Taylor.
Oh she sounds so special. This is the hard part of having chickens or any pets. When we have to let them go it is painful. I wish I knew why these things happen but I dont.
I really wish you and your chickens the best and I am glad you got to have Elizabeth for the time you did.
Take care now,
Marie

I think I might know now what hqppened. I found Deadly Nightshade growing near their fenced run! It was hiding in among my tomato plants.

I bet my lovely chicken ate some of it. That could explain the sudden death.

Be aware of poisonous weeds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom