The Smithies, the $5 "Ayam Cemani" black meat bird

DCchicken

Songster
6 Years
Aug 29, 2013
Maryland
After patiently waiting for 7 months for birds I had purchased in December, I finally received my pair for this breeder in New York:

They were supposed to be Ayam Cemani from a line that imported by the Smithsonian and carried on by this guy named Mike in New York. Being quite familiar with other FM breeds like Ayam Cemani, Ogye, and Svart Hona, I thought it might be a good idea to have another line for diversity. So I paid my $150 and waited for 7 months. What I received was not what was advertised.

But all is not lost. I have decided to start a new breed. I am calling them "Smithies". The idea is to breed them and make a $5 Ayam Cemani-ish bird. If anyone wants to join in, I will be sending out eggs as soon as they are laying which should be in about 3 months.

The goal of this breed are simple:

1. Keep the price low. $5 sounds good for a day old chick, straight-run of course.
2. Breed them as close to black as possible. They are supposed to be meat birds.
3. Increase the size which is always a good thing with meat birds.

Please join me in this effort. Or just leave comments and suggestions.

After patiently waiting for 7 months for birds I had purchased in December, I finally received my pair for this breeder in New York:

They were supposed to be Ayam Cemani from a line that imported by the Smithsonian and carried on by this guy named Mike in New York. Being quite familiar with other FM breeds like Ayam Cemani, Ogye, and Svart Hona, I thought it might be a good idea to have another line for diversity. So I paid my $150 and waited for 7 months. What I received was not what was advertised.

But all is not lost. I have decided to start a new breed. I am calling them "Smithies". The idea is to breed them and make a $5 Ayam Cemani-ish bird. If anyone wants to join in, I will be sending out eggs as soon as they are laying which should be in about 3 months.

The goal of this breed are simple:

1. Keep the price low. $5 sounds good for a day old chick, straight-run of course.
2. Breed them as close to black as possible. They are supposed to be meat birds.
3. Increase the size which is always a good thing with meat birds.

Please join me in this effort. Or just leave comments and suggestions.

I like the idea of a $5.00 Ayam Cemani, there are far too many people trying to cash in on poultry. I love my chickens and spend a lot of time and money keeping them safe, fed, and healthy. I wish people would have more interest in proliferating beautiful rare breeds such as this than lining their pockets. I would love to see more people with your mindset. $5.00 is the perfect price for ANY day old chick. Yay!! Go Smithies!!

Don't get me wrong. I also have my other pure breed Ayam Cemani and Svart Hona. It took years of hard breeding and culling to get them improved. And I will continue keeping them separate. But the goal of the Smithies is not to make them Ayam Cemani. It is to make a black meat bird in the spirit of Ayam Cemani and other true pure FM breeds. But it is also meant to be eaten, not shown.

I think it's a great idea, too. Some folk aren't as concerned as other the lines are aristocratic or pure. Maybe they just like the dark skin or the looks, even if it is a pseudo-Cemani. Keep us abreast of these guys and whatever you can tell us about them.

Just to pay respect to the Ayam Cemani breeders that spend a lot of time perfecting their lines, I think it would be a good idea if the breed is only referred to as the Smithies without the Ayam Cemani attached. Or if people prefer, we can refer to them as the "Smithsonian Line". The chicks should never have been sold as pure Ayam Cemani as they are not and never will be. But they are the basis for a good, low-cost black meat bird.

I need a name for this little Smithie cockerel. Any suggestions?

So here is the pullet that will be mated with the cockerel above. A little darker skin than the cockerel. So hopefully she will overcome his shortcomings.

Now here's a good example of what to do if life gives you lemons
thumbsup.gif
DCchicken, best of luck with your project. With your positive attitude you will do well!

Now here's a good example of what to do if life gives you lemons
thumbsup.gif
DCchicken, best of luck with your project. With your positive attitude you will do well!
Thanks. I really do think there is a need for black meat chickens. So many people email me because they have some health issue. They have tried everything. I don't have any idea if eating black chicken meat will help them. But I am game to try.

So I have decided to give away eggs from my Smithies for free. I reserve the right to charge for chicks ($5) because chicks require housing and feed. I hope that seems fare. Free eggs will also help spread the breed.

Back
Top Bottom