Quail for sale? And i'm selling button quail fertile eggs

2chick

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 6, 2013
i live in the bay area and want quail. anywhere close? just wondering, because i have 3 females and 2 males(a lot of males so yeah)

I have button quail fertile hatching eggs for sale and if anyone wants them i live in the bay area ca i can drive to fremont milpitas san jose oakland los gatos mountain view and other cities please pm if interested.
the reason why im wondering is because i dont have a incubator to hatch the eggs so im looking for more females

Im looking for a broody quail hen too.
Because quail have been cage raised for so long they lack the instincts required to brood eggs in most cases. About 1 out of 25 or so button quail hens will actually go broody and far less will possess the proper drive to actually hatch them. When you go to coturnix or bobwhites you are talking about 1 in several million going broody. It just doesn't happen. In all the time I've been at this I've seen one example of a coturnix hen that hatched eggs. One out of literally millions.

Possibly. They are pretty short lived.. We all encouraged the owner to attempt to continue or create a line of birds from it, but I've not seen her post on here since. She may still be active if you used the advanced search and search for broody quail hen you can probably find it. If I recall correctly the thread was titled OMG they are hatching, or something like that. I'll look for it later if I think about it.

After reading as much as I could find on the subject it seems that lack of brooding instinct is either due to lack of parental raising or we have somehow damaged the genetics of bird. I'm not qualified to say which is correct but I suspect it is a little of both. On the other hand that coturnix hen that brooded her own eggs had no mother to teach here so there is that...

One member also tried allowing a broody bantam to hatch and raise coturnix chicks (This isn't recommended because of the huge possibility for disease transmission but as an experiment it was worth a try). I don't think any of 15 chicks that survived hatched for longer than a couple weeks. They just aren't that hardy hence the death proof brooders we all have to maintain. They all succumbed to natural causes or getting stepped on by "mom", and it became apparent that a broody could be used to hatch chicks but has a low probability of any surviving to pass on whatever instinct may have been shared. The other observation made was that the quail chicks didn't stick to mom the way chickens do when they are raised by a broody, they just kind of did their own thing for the most part.

the hen button I have now has hatched eggs. She has sit a couple times on dud eggs that I switch out as I do not want chicks. It is extremely rare for them to do this and I really hate not to let her pass this learning on to other chicks but I just don't have the ways or means to have more birds. My 4 year old granddaughter is allergic to the birds, she is allergic to almost everything. Anyway I have come to the conclusion that these 2 will be my last buttons when they die that's it. My g-daughter is worth a lot more to me then they are but then again I wont harm them either so I will just keep on taking good care of them until the naturally die. Anyway so it is possible depending on the bird. I have the cage right in my living room and talk to them all the time, the TV is going about 6 hours a day and they don't mind a bit. Still mating and loving the sand baths. So All I can say is try putting them in single pairs with a nesting box and see what happens. My hen sat just fine and the male even sat when she was up eating. They both took care of the chicks. too cute, anyway good luck!

Possibly. They are pretty short lived.. We all encouraged the owner to attempt to continue or create a line of birds from it, but I've not seen her post on here since. She may still be active if you used the advanced search and search for broody quail hen you can probably find it. If I recall correctly the thread was titled OMG they are hatching, or something like that. I'll look for it later if I think about it.

After reading as much as I could find on the subject it seems that lack of brooding instinct is either due to lack of parental raising or we have somehow damaged the genetics of bird. I'm not qualified to say which is correct but I suspect it is a little of both. On the other hand that coturnix hen that brooded her own eggs had no mother to teach here so there is that...

One member also tried allowing a broody bantam to hatch and raise coturnix chicks (This isn't recommended because of the huge possibility for disease transmission but as an experiment it was worth a try). I don't think any of 15 chicks that survived hatched for longer than a couple weeks. They just aren't that hardy hence the death proof brooders we all have to maintain. They all succumbed to natural causes or getting stepped on by "mom", and it became apparent that a broody could be used to hatch chicks but has a low probability of any surviving to pass on whatever instinct may have been shared. The other observation made was that the quail chicks didn't stick to mom the way chickens do when they are raised by a broody, they just kind of did their own thing for the most part.
My broody hen hatched quail eggs and then i put the babies in the brooder. They surived fine..

My broody hen hatched quail eggs and then i put the babies in the brooder. They surived fine..
Yeah they will. Like I said we were doing an experiment on brooding behavior. The thing with doing this is that they may now be infected with a poultry disease's and you won't know unless/until they die from it. The reason we encourage people to keep them separate from chickens is because quail currently do not pass common poultry diseases to their offspring like chickens do. But if people keep mixing them with chickens that is going to change.

Back
Top Bottom