Squirrel Problem

VTChickenLover

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 30, 2013
Hello,

I have two backyard chickens and a well built coop. They free range during the day but I leave the coop door open so they can access the nest box, food and water. This summer I've had problems with squirrels getting in to the coop, presumably to steal the food. The girls get treats every morning and evening and they don't always eat them immediately.

I don't have a rooster to scare the squirrels off but they do run away when I catch them in the act. Their visits have become more frequent and this worries me.

I'm worried about disease and contamination so I'd like to find a way to keep them out of my coop. I could close the door during the day when the girls free range but they'd lose access to the nest box, food and water.

Any suggestions? I'm ordering some bobcat urine to see if that deters them. I don't mind the squirrels being around but I'm worried about them spreading disease in the coop via feces.

Thanks for your help!

Try this approach to Squirrel Control and Management.

1 free range squirrel skinned, drawn, and quartered.

1 large home grown chicken egg.

1/2 cup of squirrel broth (directions to follow)

As much all purpose flour as it takes.

1 teaspoon of Kosher salt

Black pepper to taste.

Par boil the squirrel quarters. Remove the meat from the bones and save the broth.

Mix the egg, salt, and 1/2 cup of squirrel broth with as much flour as it takes to make a firm dough.

Turn out dough on a board and knead in more flour until the dough is stiff.

Then roll the dough out thin and leave on the board to rest for about one hour.

After the hour is up return the squirrel to the pot with the broth and bring to a low boil.

Slice the dough into either short diamonds or long noodle shapes and drop slowly and carefully into the boiling broth.

(Additional hot water may be added if needed.)

Turn stove down and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.

Taste and adjust seasoning to suite your taster.

Don't tell your kids that they're eating Rocky.

Last edited:
Hello,

I have two backyard chickens and a well built coop. They free range during the day but I leave the coop door open so they can access the nest box, food and water. This summer I've had problems with squirrels getting in to the coop, presumably to steal the food. The girls get treats every morning and evening and they don't always eat them immediately.

I don't have a rooster to scare the squirrels off but they do run away when I catch them in the act. Their visits have become more frequent and this worries me.

I'm worried about disease and contamination so I'd like to find a way to keep them out of my coop. I could close the door during the day when the girls free range but they'd lose access to the nest box, food and water.

Any suggestions? I'm ordering some bobcat urine to see if that deters them. I don't mind the squirrels being around but I'm worried about them spreading disease in the coop via feces.

Thanks for your help!

Squirrel's are a member of the rodent family so I suppose they could carry some of the same diseases as rats. But even if they don't, squirrels have been known to steal eggs and eat feed so you can either trap the squirrels (and shoot them, which is what we do) or you could make your coop snug as can be against a squirrel's marauding ways.

Back
Top Bottom