3 nearly drowned welch harlequins 2 months old, HELP!

galaxybrown

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
South Central Missouri
Our ducklings spent the night in their little pond. Apparently they couldn't get out. It was 90 degrees yesterday and 70 last night. Their was light rain this morning. I found them about 7:30 this morning. They were still moving their legs to stay afloat, but their eyes were closed and they wouldn't respond to me. I pulled them out and they couldn't even stand up. They had lost almost all their down and had several bald spots because of this event. They were brought from a store, so no momma. We brought them inside and wrapped them in warm towels from the dryer. We just held them, no rubbing. Then we alternated this with placing them under a heat lamp. Its been 5 hours and they are now standing and moving slowly.

Will their down grow back? If so, how long will it take? Will their naked backs burn under the heat lamp or in the sun? Should they stay away from swimming temporarily or permanently? Will they be able to go back outside again? Will they completely recover? What else should I do?

We have named them, so we are in this for the long hall. Please help us rehab these motherless babies!

I feel your pain. I have never had that experience so cant comment. If they are coming 'round that is a good sign. It depends on loss of oxygen. They may end up just being a bit slow.

So I may have "special" ducks now? Poor babies! I'm just glad they're mine. I hate to think what others might do in this situation. Thank you for your support.
How old are they? Hopefully they will completely recover and it's amazing they didn't get water logged and drown if they still had down. I wouldn't put the heat lamp very close or they may burn. They won't grow any more down so keep them from the scorching sun till they feather in. Electrolytes with vitamins in their water for support would be a good thing, and locked up at night in their very own secure house.

Welcome to BYC.

They are roughly 2 months old. I am keeping them in the house for as long as possible. I went ahead and moved their light from overhead. It is now shining just in front of their wire cage. When they were outside (before this incident) they were not even sitting under their heat lamp at all. We kept it in there for good measure though. They had a few feathers on their wings and tails already but their backs are completely bald now. Do you know how long it takes for their feathers to completely come in? Can I put pedialyte in their water? Should swimming be out of the question until they have feathers? Thank you so much for your help. My vet didn't even know what to do. He doesn't do exotics. I'm glad I found this site!

Last edited:
They are roughly 2 months old. I am keeping them in the house for as long as possible. I went ahead and moved their light from overhead. It is now shining just in front of their wire cage. When they were outside (before this incident) they were not even sitting under their heat lamp at all. We kept it in there for good measure though. They had a few feathers on their wings and tails already but their backs are completely bald now. Do you know how long it takes for their feathers to completely come in? Can I put pedialyte in their water? Should swimming be out of the question until they have feathers? Thank you so much for your help. My vet didn't even know what to do. He doesn't do exotics. I'm glad I found this site!

Usually by 6-8 weeks they should be completely feathered in. Your ducklings don't have their feathers in yet? I don't understand why their backs are completely bald doesn't make sense. Maybe your ducklings are younger than you think? yes you can use pedialyte in their water, I would rather use what's meant for poultry but in a bind use it. I think swimming would be fine in a kiddy pool [ on a nice warm-hot day ]with a really good way in and out so this doesn't happen again. At 2 months they shouldn't be left outside all night without protection. [secure housing] at any age actually, there are just way to many predators just waiting to have duck dinner. What breed are they?

I'm new to the ducky thing but I know my two are 3-4 weeks and are really feathering out. There is still down but the breast is all feathered in. Are you sure about the age? I know mine practically live in the pool all day and I will catch them napping in it. I'm glad they are doing better.

I'm new to ducks, so forgive my ignorance. I cant upload a photo on my tablet. It is acting up badly. I will keep working on it though. I'm sure a picture would help explain better. We lock up (tuck in) all our fowl evey night. The ducks have a fenced in play yard for daytime use. We put cinderblocks in their pool and outside, like steps to prevent further problems. They are Welch Harlequins.

Ok, the blood red area in between her wings is naked skin. It continues under her wings just a little bit as well. I can only guess at their age. I have had them for a month.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom