No Respect for Hardware Cloth

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
This character we have in these parts. It is an adult male badger that was until last night a very tough critter that could challenge even the toughest "Fort Knox" type of coops. His weakness are low abundance, not a very good climber nor is he very fast.

Those front claws are very capable and he is so well muscled even a large LGD would have difficulties with him. We simply count on harassing him so he can not invest in getting through the flimsy pens I have and make so birds roost up. Dogs can drive him off even though they can not kill him and the commotion brings me into picture where I am not so limited.

Badgers! Yikes! None around here thankfully. I understand they are quite strong and ferocious.
Do you have evidence that he is capable of breaching 1/2-inch hardware cloth? I could believe it.

Yikes! Cass swore she watched one of these scurrying through the woods, behind the house, five years ago. As we were also working on clearing a couple of Ground Hogs from along one of the drainages (agents of erosion enhancement - like muskrats in banks of pond), I didn't pay her report much mind.

Thought the `newest' pred/pest problem would be the armadillos (dead one observed just west of Kingdom City exit along I70 a week ago) slowly working their way North.

Guess threat from Badgers goes from unlikely to possible (though no additional sightings for 5 yrs, at this location, keeps it off the probable list, for now).

In the 32 years I have lived where I do, I have only seen three badgers. We know they're here, we see the holes they dig. I had a dog die after a fight with one - the dog died of heatstroke, but he did not kill the badger in the fight. My DH shot it after a long struggle. They are ferocious when cornered.

Yikes! Cass swore she watched one of these scurrying through the woods, behind the house, five years ago. As we were also working on clearing a couple of Ground Hogs from along one of the drainages (agents of erosion enhancement - like muskrats in banks of pond), I didn't pay her report much mind.

Thought the `newest' pred/pest problem would be the armadillos (dead one observed just west of Kingdom City exit along I70 a week ago) slowly working their way North.

Guess threat from Badgers goes from unlikely to possible (though no additional sightings for 5 yrs, at this location, keeps it off the probable list, for now).

You must be very close to me. I have seen badger carcasses on I-70 shoulder multiple times.

You must be very close to me. I have seen badger carcasses on I-70 shoulder multiple times.

IIRC, from previous threads, just about 45 miles NNW of your general vicinity. Have probably eyeballed road killed badgers, as well, on way to visit daughter in Fulton - but assumed the rather `indistinct' remains to be those of steel belted & bumper `sectioned' Coyotes.

The local rumor mill in my neighborhood says that one of my neighbors has a badger living out in his back yard towards where the creek runs. That's roughly at least 800 yards away from the house here. Hope he finds the hunting better along the creek and on his side of the road.

Back
Top Bottom