Show Quality?

kittykitty30

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 1, 2014
Spring Creek, Nevada
I am interested in showing my Silkie roo at my local county fair next year (after he has molted). I have read the guidelines for the 4-H poultry show and the birds do not have to be show-quality. It would be nice to know, though.

Last edited:
A white silkie should have a mulberry colored walnut comb, 5 toes on each foot, feathered legs, a beard, black skin, dark eyes, preferably dark brown. Your rooster has the wrong comb. He also looks a bit tall.
(I said beard because I was at ohio national and someone was disqualified for no beard.)
here is my rooster. He is showing quality.

Last edited:
Wrong comb for a Silkie, and could use a better crest. He's fine for showing at 4-H shows if it says they don't need to be show quality, but I wouldn't take him to a larger poultry show.

I'm definitely not a "show" expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I have entered birds in the past county fairs (including some Black Silkies) and I can tell you from experience, that his lack of a walnut comb will be a disqualification. Sorry.

A white silkie should have a mulberry colored walnut comb, 5 toes on each foot, feathered legs, a beard, black skin, dark eyes, preferably dark brown. Your rooster has the wrong comb. He also looks a bit tall.
(I said beard because I was at ohio national and someone was disqualified for no beard.)
here is my rooster. He is showing quality.

The bird pictured would be... It has in incomplete beard. Silkies are showable as non bearded but they must be bred and entered as such.

Back
Top Bottom