Rubbermaid deck box converted to chicken house. Help/Suggestions

Velcrospoons

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 18, 2014
Okay. So we are going to take our Rubbermaid deck box and make it into a chicken house, attached to a 6' wide 12' long 8' high dog run. Our goal is free range. I will post a picture of the plain box before construction. We are planning on using some square 5 gallon buckets for nesting boxes and also to put some perches (probably ladder type). I am open to any and all suggestions. My specific questions are: What kind of ventilation would we need? How big should the chicken door opening be? How big and how many nesting boxes should we have? Thanks for any and all help and suggestions!

Okay. So we are going to take our Rubbermaid deck box and make it into a chicken house, attached to a 6' wide 12' long 8' high dog run. Our goal is free range. I will post a picture of the plain box before construction. We are planning on using some square 5 gallon buckets for nesting boxes and also to put some perches (probably ladder type). I am open to any and all suggestions. My specific questions are: What kind of ventilation would we need? How big should the chicken door opening be? How big and how many nesting boxes should we have? Thanks for any and all help and suggestions!

First off, you didn't say how many chickens you are planning on housing??? With a coop that small you will want your nesting boxes on the 'outside' of that small a coop...will make for more room inside. As for ventilation...oh yeah, you should probably put at least one window (both for light and air) in there plus some ventilation grids around the top of it, too. That size will be really tight for any more than 4-5 chickens...why? Because in the summer they're gonna roast to death, and in winter more body heat than what 4-5 chickens will be producing will make for bad air circulation and high humidity, both of which is a disaster waiting to happen. As for what size pop hole? It should be 12" wide by 15" tall. The reason I state those dimensions is in case down the road you decide to get an automatic door opener almost all the manufacturers call for that size hole and so you would be ready automatically for a switchover.

Let us know how many chickens you plan on having!

Last edited:
Definitely no more than 4-5 chickens. And they will be free range of 3 acres during the day. :)

So should we cut holes in the side and push the buckets through the side so the nesting boxes are on the outside? Will that be too cold for winter months?

So should we cut holes in the side and push the buckets through the side so the nesting boxes are on the outside? Will that be too cold for winter months?
Yes, plastic nesting boxes on the outside will be too cold. I live in snow country, too, and my nesting boxes are inside. You didn't say what the size of the actual Rubbermaid coop is...??

It is 4' wide and 8' deep and about 4' high. It will be
Yes, plastic nesting boxes on the outside will be too cold. I live in snow country, too, and my nesting boxes are inside. You didn't say what the size of the actual Rubbermaid coop is...??
attached to a 6' wide 12' deep 8' high fence/dog run.

It is 4' wide and 8' deep and about 4' high. It will be
attached to a 6' wide 12' deep 8' high fence/dog run.
Okay, yes then...no more than 4-5 birds...tops. Have you considered raising it onto a post/platform so you won't be stooping constantly...just thinking. Also in your original pics I see that it is sitting up against your house...I would highly advise moving that away from your house....like it or not chickens do smell somewhat...eek!

Back
Top Bottom