Do Appearances Change After A Moult?

BayBay Peepers

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Wisconsin
One of my Buff Orp's used to be slightly more solid colored than not until a recent moult...or molt? Whichever. Now she's almost speckled. I wish I could have showed you the before picture and I suppose I could add the after picture later.

Is this common or am I crazy? I would have thought she'd look the same just with fresh feathers.

I know in Mottled Javas, every molt causes the chickens to have more white mottling on them. So I would imagine that can happen with other breeds as well.

Fantastic! Now thinking about it more my duck used to be more solid gray and now has speckled white. It all makes sense now. Thank you
big_smile.png

I didn't mean any offense by my previous statement. I just made the comment because I've been trying to learn color genetics and just recently realized that in poultry feather genetics, white is not a color.

I didn't mean it to sound like I took offense. My horrible attempt at being funny. I should have added a haha or an lol, but I didn't think it would fit. It's all good
smile.png
and besides, I'm the one asking you for help.

I wasn't sure. Some people come here asking for help and then get offended if the answer isn't something they want to hear. It was funny now that I reread.

I joke a lot without using smileys. I just can't get used to it.

Last edited:
I am no expert on feathering, but after reading a few threads about certain show breeds, most say that you really won't realize the full beauty of feathers and coloring until after the first molt. This is especially true with roosters.

Back
Top Bottom