Bawling right now. Only you guys would understand ...

Murs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 23, 2011
North SD County
It happened. I had my girls out free ranging and went inside to shower. I was in the bathroom, heard one of my girls making a fuss. And saw the coyote coming into my yard. I grabbed my air rifle and ran outside. It had my Buff in its mouth. I screamed and the coyote dropped her. I got one shot off but no where close to the coyote. It hopped the fence and disappeared in the bushes. I went back in the house and found my Buff in the corner of my dining room screaming. Feathers everywhere. She died a few minutes later. Her chicks are 7 weeks old. She was my favorite. I just started bawling and couldn't stop. Can't believe I'm shedding tears over a chicken, didn't realize I was that attached. The chicks are fine and so is my other chicken but they are distressed.

It's the middle of the day, I have a dog, I have a fence.... I didn't think it would happen.... I shouldn't have left them unattended.

****! I want that coyote to come back so I can shoot it in the ***!!!

:hit

:( I am so sorry........just came rushing back home...dd called to tell me that a **** chicken hawk has just snatched and grabbed one of my 5month old Golden Comets....he did not even eat her, just broke her neck..now to try to find the rest of my flock who are scared to death in the woods....time for me to get a rooster. :( I am so very sorry....I have a sweet girl to bury too...... :(

Oh, I am so sorry! I've been through that too. HUGS HUGS HUGS

Seems like I lose one a year to some unseen predator. However, this year, I actually saw a fox approach my fenced in chicken run, in the middle of the day, when it was raining! Dave got his gun but the fox disappeared. I think he didn't realize, until he got closer, that they were totally fenced in.

I kept the girls locked up for a few weeks after that. The coyotes and foxes must be hungry this time of year. They've probably got babies to feed.

So sorry this happened to you. I remember how I felt when it happened to me for the first time. I cried too. But I do think they're happier when they get to free range. I hate to see them pacing behind a fence.....

Take care,
Sharon

:( I am so sorry........just came rushing back home...dd called to tell me that a **** chicken hawk has just snatched and grabbed one of my 5month old Golden Comets....he did not even eat her, just broke her neck..now to try to find the rest of my flock who are scared to death in the woods....time for me to get a rooster. :( I am so very sorry....I have a sweet girl to bury too...... :(

Oh no! I'm sorry for you too!

This was my first broody that hatched eggs and I didn't realize how attached I got just by watching her raise the little ones. She was such a good mom.

Oh,  I am so sorry!  I've been through that too.  HUGS HUGS HUGS

Seems like I lose one a year to some unseen predator.  However, this year, I actually saw a fox approach my fenced in chicken run, in the middle of the day, when it was raining!   Dave got his gun but the fox disappeared.  I think he didn't realize, until he got closer, that they were totally fenced in.

I kept the girls locked up for a few weeks after that.  The coyotes and foxes must be hungry this time of year.  They've probably got babies to feed.

So sorry this happened to you.  I remember how I felt when it happened to me for the first time.  I cried too.  But I do think they're happier when they get to free range.  I hate to see them pacing behind a fence.....

Take care,
Sharon

Ironically, we had a thunderstorm this morning with rain and hail. When the rain stopped I let them out figuring they could get some nice worms. And they did! I watched them for a little while then went in to shower.

Yep, they must be hungry getting that brazen in the middle of the day.

:( Murs, my heart hurts with you...we just did a head count, we are still 1 short...can only hope she is hiding....I raised these from 3 days old...it hurts and it hurts some more...I am already looking for a rooster for protection. In the almost 2 years that I have had my girls, this is our first death. :(

So very sorry to hear of your losses...it is sadly a fact of us that allow our chickens to free range...I could not contemplate keeping my chickens confined..I have five German Shepherd dogs that have freedom to roam among my flocks, I have geese, horses and donkeys that will give alarm signals..but if a hungry fox, buzzard or another potential predator is determined..it will chance a kill..

My worst loss was my first Gander...killed by a fox..he was protecting his siblings...it still hurts that Boss ( my heroic Gander ) died..he did what any protector would do...a Rooster is no match for a predator... it would be a good idea to keep your flock confined for a week or so...the predator may move on...

Again..so sorry for your losses.

We lost three roosters earlier this year and two Buff Brahmas even earlier than that. I was attached to all of them and was crying for a few hours after it happened. It was a weasel that got our, though. I am so sorry for your loss. :( Just this morning a chick died for asphyxiation after the rest of them huddled up in the corner of their brooder. That was my fault, I was too quiet coming in and scared them by replacing their water with fresh. I had to bury her. :hit
Try a large rooster- those tend to be a little better at fending off predators than smaller Roos.

We lost three roosters earlier this year and two Buff Brahmas even earlier than that. I was attached to all of them and was crying for a few hours after it happened. It was a weasel that got our, though. I am so sorry for your loss. :( Just this morning a chick died for asphyxiation after the rest of them huddled up in the corner of their brooder. That was my fault, I was too quiet coming in and scared them by replacing their water with fresh. I had to bury her. :hit
Try a large rooster- those tend to be a little better at fending off predators than smaller Roos.

I guess we all have our losses. :(

:( Murs, my heart hurts with you...we just did a head count, we are still 1 short...can only hope she is hiding....I raised these from 3 days old...it hurts and it hurts some more...I am already looking for a rooster for protection. In the almost 2 years that I have had my girls, this is our first death. :(

I'm so sorry. I lost one of the baby chicks the day it was born. My other chicken attacked it. I have also lost three other chickens, two of them I believe were caught by raccoons. They were inside but raccoons are crafty. The other chicken, well, it just died. No idea why.

The ones lost to predators have all been learning experiences.

For some reason, this one bothered me the most. I think I let myself get too attached. I could pick this one up and I just loved watching her raise the chicks. I think it also breaks my heart to know their momma is gone.

Back
Top Bottom