MY CHICKEN GROWLED AT ME?!

HolyHens

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
PA
Hello!!!

My one chicken just stood still, I was rounding the two up to put in their pen and when she got to the doorway she just stopped. The other one came inside. But Georgia just stood outside the door and started making this growling noise. It was like she was stunned or something, she wouldn't even move! Normally she runs away when I walk over to her, when she was growling she let me walk right up to her. I took a video on my phone, I didn't know what else to do.

Finally I called the other chicken over towards the growling one and when she came over it was like my chicken snapped out of it. Then all of a sudden she started squawking like it was nobody's business! Normally I can shush her but she went crazy! Squawking so loud like I was killing her! I wasn't even near her! I finally got them both in the hen house and locked them in for the night.

No unusual behavior since but it was the weirdest thing! I'll text you the video if you want, if you can help! Thanks!

I have a hen that growls like that, but not personally at me. She does it when she hears something to warn the flock. For instance, she's not usually bothered by our dog, but sometimes she gets irritated at her and then begins to growl. The other hens/pullets and Roos perk up and hold really still when she does it. She does the same thing in the coop every now and then when I'm locking them in.

Do you think something was around or she noticed something the others didn't?

i have heard some mine kibda grawel while about with others. but when my roo does it its different and much louder. yesterday while i sat enjoying my girls antics my roo made the griwl that was long every bird split and when fekt safe teilted head up and or looked around.. thats when i saw a buzzard fly very low. i dont if they eat chickens but my younger girlz would be easy to fly off with.

Sounds like your hen went on 'alert'. Often when a chicken sees a predator-real or imaginary- they will freeze in place and growl. They may continue this posturing for several seconds then snap out of it like nothing was happened. Then they'll cluck like crazy as if they narrowly escaped a horrendous death.

This scene is much more dramactic with the rooster does this. You may see the entire flock freeze in place as various birds growl. And if they continue to feel threatened every bird will suddenly explode in random flight. At that time the rooster either joins in the chaos or he attacks the predator.

Could be your appearance startled your hen, or startled a predator that you did not see and she went on 'alert'.

And welcome BYC!

:welcome
My flock does this when they see large birds fly overhead. Because my roosters are separated from my hens they cannot attack the 'predators' but they do give out loud warnings. Does it sound long, like a 'weaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow'? That's the predator call. I have three roosters and all of them do it at the same time, and the hens pitch in a little later. I have not yet seen them dive for cover.

Welcome to BYC!
smile.png

I agree with the above. My flock does this when something is a threat. It's usually my rooster who sounds the alarm and everyone, ducks and all, head for cover. It has never failed. When I hear the noise all I have to do is look up and theres a hawk or turkey vulture gliding around. Love that rooster haha.

Thanks everyone!

I must have taken it personally! Lol next time I'll look to the skies first!

Yesterday afternoon I heard growling outside the kitchen windows. My orpingtons were free ranging as usual. We have a yorkie, and I thought it was her, and wondered if my husband let her out because I hadn't right then. It sure sounded just like a dog. I looked out the window to see Maisie, one of my hens staring straight ahead at something that I sure could not see and absolutely GROWLING! I said her name, but she continued to growl for another minute or so. The other hens were near, but they didn't do anything and seemed completely normal, not scared. They didn't go running up to Maisie at all. Finally she stopped, but I wondered what the heck that was all about???
I have heard a broody growl, but this was really different---definitely sounded exactly like my dog, lol! I was quite suprised that chickens ever growled like that!

Back
Top Bottom