When do I start feeding layer?

Marcy54

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 4, 2014
Shapleigh, ME
I have nine wyandotte pullets. The lady at the feed store told me to start them on layer feed now. They are supposed to be around 18 or 19 weeks old, I was told they would be laying around the middle of September. I currently have them on grower, but need to buy a new bag in the next day or two, what do you think?

I would like to know the answer to this because I have been told multiple different things from supposedly chicken savvy people.

I feed layer when they start laying or just before, just depends on when I run out of starter/grower. It's just not as big of a deal as some people make it out to be. It's not going to make a difference in your hens laying if they are still on starter/grower for a couple weeks after they start laying or if they are on layer a couple weeks before they start laying. Many people with mixed flocks simply feed an all-flock type feed and offer oyster shell for extra calcium. Same can be applied if you are finishing up a bag of starter/grower when your birds start laying. Just put out the oyster shell and pick up a bag of layer when you finish the starter.

I just feed grower all the time and add oyster on the side. Gives them a little more protein and they will self regulate on the calcium.

But a couple of weeks one way or the other shouldn't be a big deal.

Last edited:
What if you have 1 that's been laying for 3 weeks and 4 that haven't started and not sure when they will start? I also was told to get them on the layer after I had finished up a bag of grower when mine were 17 weeks so they have all been on layer for 4 weeks already.

Okay, so I guess when I run out of the grower in a couple of days, I can just start with the layer. When we got them a couple of weeks ago, my husband went to our local feed store and the girl there sold him 50 lbs of layer. The person I bought the chicks from said she had them on grower and they should start laying in 3-4 weeks, so I should leave them on grower for a couple of more weeks. They have been on grower for two weeks. I was thinking of getting a 25lb bag of grower, but they are pretty big, I would say probably the size of a full grown chicken. So I guess from what you are saying, I can open the 50 lb bag of layer and start feeding them that and they should be fine. I am a newbie, but have been reading a bunch, these will be my first hens. I did chicks a few years ago, but we had to move a few weeks before they were ready to lay and we had to rehome them. I am excited, but nervous about doing things right.

This is the day I got them.

Okay, so I guess when I run out of the grower in a couple of days, I can just start with the layer. When we got them a couple of weeks ago, my husband went to our local feed store and the girl there sold him 50 lbs of layer. The person I bought the chicks from said she had them on grower and they should start laying in 3-4 weeks, so I should leave them on grower for a couple of more weeks. They have been on grower for two weeks. I was thinking of getting a 25lb bag of grower, but they are pretty big, I would say probably the size of a full grown chicken. So I guess from what you are saying, I can open the 50 lb bag of layer and start feeding them that and they should be fine. I am a newbie, but have been reading a bunch, these will be my first hens. I did chicks a few years ago, but we had to move a few weeks before they were ready to lay and we had to rehome them. I am excited, but nervous about doing things right.

This is the day I got them.
Good job for figuring out how to do it right!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom