Day time attack - 2 juvies dead - heads gone

BlossomSilkies

Crowing
13 Years
Jan 29, 2011
Niles, MI
We had our first predator attack since moving here. My chickens are free to roam our land during the day. Today I found two 2 month olds dead in the run, right close to the coop, one only had it's head gone, the other had it's head gone and wings detached. I have a silkie completely missing without a trace. I also have some feathers that look like came from one of my ISA Brown 4 month olds. Those feathers were outside the run about 20 yards away from the dead chicks. I don't think I'm missing any ISA browns, but one has a little drop of blood on the top of her head, maybe she got away for whatever tried to get her. We are in northern Indiana. Any ideas what I'm dealing with?

We had our first predator attack since moving here.  My chickens are free to roam our land during the day.  Today I found two 2 month olds dead in the run, right close to the coop, one only had it's head gone, the other had it's head gone and wings detached.  I have a silkie completely missing without a trace.  I also have some feathers that look like came from one of my ISA Brown 4 month olds.  Those feathers were outside the run about 20 yards away from the dead chicks.  I don't think I'm missing any ISA browns, but one has a little drop of blood on the top of her head, maybe she got away for whatever tried to get her.  We are in northern Indiana.  Any ideas what I'm dealing with?

I had a similar attack on mine. All I could find were medium sized cat tracks that led me to believe a Bobcat reached in through my chainlink and grabbed the chickens and killed them by tearing their heads off. It finally managed to carry off a whole chicken. I lost 3 layers and it quit coming back after I covered the chain link on most of the pen. We don't have raccoons here but there is a possibility that was your predator. Did you see any tracks?

Oh I'm so sorry u lost your babies I have been having baby ducks just vanish during the day in a covered pen it killed 3 babies yesterday in less than an hour because I was going out to give food and fresh water any thoughts

No, no idea what that could be, but I'm no expert at predators. I hope you figure out what it is. We invested in a game cam, which is cool. Cost about $100 at Walmart. Mounted to a tree, aimed at the run. Takes 3 pictures every time something triggers it. Uses an SD card and takes pictures at night also.

I do accept that it is a risk allowing my chickens to pasture rather than keeping them locked up. I prefer them to get out, it's so much more healthy in my opinion. Love seeing them out in the green grass eating bugs and seeds or under the pear and apple trees enjoying some sweet fruit that has fallen. And of course, with letting them out to get a variety of food, the eggs are fabulous with dark, rich yolks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom