humidity problemss....:(

Luv for Poultry

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 20, 2014
Hello,

I am going to hatch 6 duck eggs in my incubator and the temp is now 37.5°, however the humidity is failing on me. It is 40% humidity and it needs to be 55% I have added water and taken some a way and fiddled around but I can seem to get it the correct temperature and humidity at the same time. I need to get this sorted ASAP because I need to put in my eggs....Any advice appreciated

It takes time for hygrometers to read correctly and longer for the added surface area of water to effect humidity inside the incubator. You should wait hours after any changes you make to see what the effect is or you'll be driving yourself crazy and likely undoing the right correction before it takes effect.

Temp swings are normal, take average of high and low as your true reading. Adding stone or bottles of water as thermal mass will lower the range of temp swing. Removing lid and adding cold water also will take time for temperature to rise.

Basically, surface area of water not depth effects humidity. Wait hours after any adjustment before evaluating. Perform a salt test on your hygrometer to calibrate. They can be off 10% humidity and you'd not know until you calibrate your device.

It takes time for hygrometers to read correctly and longer for the added surface area of water to effect humidity inside the incubator. You should wait hours after any changes you make to see what the effect is or you'll be driving yourself crazy and likely undoing the right correction before it takes effect.

Temp swings are normal, take average of high and low as your true reading. Adding stone or bottles of water as thermal mass will lower the range of temp swing. Removing lid and adding cold water also will take time for temperature to rise.

Basically, surface area of water not depth effects humidity. Wait hours after any adjustment before evaluating. Perform a salt test on your hygrometer to calibrate. They can be off 10% humidity and you'd not know until you calibrate your device.

thank you for your advice and is very much appreciated, I have done what you have said and I have waited but the humidity just wont stay the same its always going down, it will be doing this at night when im not there and I wont be there to top it up. Thanks again x

Can you post pics or give a more detailed description of how you're managing the humidity? The more details the better.

Back
Top Bottom