New Member / love this site!

StickyChicky

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 21, 2014
Hi all - just joined. Had chickens as a young girl living on a farm... am now in my 40s and trying to pick it up again. Wow! So much to learn!

We went on vacation a few weeks ago and came home to two hens gone broody on a mix of different eggs... we have 2 Australorps, 1 BCM, 1 Buff Brahma, 1 Wellsummer, 2 bantams and a rooster of unknown age or breed - although he really looks like a BCM.

The BCM's eggs hatced over the weekend, and the Buff Brahma's started hatching on Sunday night. Unortunately, my 6yo DS got anxious and pulled the BB off her nest so she and her 5 chickies coud be with the other group... well... there was one very small chick with her (#5) and one JUST hatched (#6). Not sure how long she was off - but I threw her back on the nest as soon as I found out the offense. Got an incubator up and running in case she got off again... which happened a few hours later. I put the newly hatched one in, thinking it was a gonner. It was a "sticky" chick (hence my username!) and had about a 1/2" diameter shell stuck to it's backside and leg. I ran it under warm water till the eggshell could come off and put it in the incubator. It looked deformed and kept going around in circles for hours, but finally got up and balanced on both legs! It looks wet, but is dry. I've tried giving it a bath, but it hasn't helped much.

Then I went back out to check on the others. #5 didn't look well at all. It was up and getting around... but would sit and peep alot. The mama was trying to keep it warm, but would get up to show on occasion and the little one was getting stepped on and looking a little "flattened". So I put it in the incubator with the other for company and so it could keep warm without getting hurt.

Well... after some research and watching how #5 is walking - it seems it has a splayed leg or slipped achilles. I called the vet who doesn't do chickens, but has some - he said give it a few days, it may work itself out. I think it's getting worse. So I've hobbled it and I'm making sure it's getting food. It can get around still - but tires out really quickly.

I've now got them both in a comfortable brooder and will see how it goes.

Anyway, we have 10 healthy chicks! Will do my best to care for the other two... but it's kinda tough with my job. I already took an entire day yesterday to get everyone settled down... we're going on vacation next week and will already be working gobs of overtime to be able to leave... <sigh> will take the 2 with us in the brooder so we can make sure they are watched all day. Good thing we aren't going far!!!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Wow, sounds like you have your hands full!! But at least you were able to intervene and get these couple of chicks into the brooder. Keep the hobbles on the one with the splay legs for several days. You might also put some poultry vitamins in the water to help with boosting energy. Vitamin B really helps with weakness in the legs. Make sure they are eating enough. Chop up some warm hard boiled eggs. They are loaded with Vitamin B, E and other essential amino acids that will aid in healing and growth. And since they eat these very readily, it is a good way to get food into babies. Young chicks can live exclusively on hard boiled eggs for quite sometime if ill.

Good luck with your chicks, broodies and all of your flock and welcome to ours!

Make sure to only feed as much egg as they will eat and remove the rest. Eggs spoil fast under brooder heat. :)

Good advice - thanks!!! I was going to scramble some egg and leave it in there while off to work - now I'll have the babysitter check to make sure there are no stinky leftovers!!!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a nice mix of breeds. The first breed I ever had were Brahmas and they were gentle giants. I love the chocolate eggs of the BCWs and Welsummers, and the Australorp is my favorite standard breed; very hardy, calm and gentle, and excellent layers of large, brown eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom