Hello New mom today

TanZ

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 21, 2014
Hello everyone. I am new here today, So where do I start? I am not the MOM but my 10 month old little Hen is. She has so far graced me with 3 little babies and sadly 4 bad eggs. It is amazing watching her move her eggs and new chicks around. AnIyway back in March I stopped off the road when i seen Rooster for sale. Went to look found a Rooster that has some issues with his feet and liked the color of him, Asked the person had any hens for sale seeing really wanted a egg layer. Well he had one. I don't know what she is but she is a Small Grey with White speck Hen. She didn't start to lay until June. Little late for how old I was told she was! I didn't collect any of the eggs in the hope that she would start to sit However after 20 eggs some she moved away from her box and some stayed close but she never sat.Then I collected the eggs and thought I will give her one more try. if not then I could just keep the eggs. Well after she had 10 eggs she started to SIT WOOT. about a week ago there was 3 eggs moved out and then the next day one was out broke open and baby was there but not living. Then today 2 baby chicks in the AM. and now there is 3. She has 3 more eggs so with any luck they will hatch for a total of 6 new.. RIght now I have a total of 28 with the 3 new babies.

12 Black Australorp 10 Amberwhites 1 White Australorp Had 2 one got lost as a baby and then I have a Multi color Roster with Black Green red yellow in colors. then the mom and as stated before she is Grey with white specks. Besides the last 2 the others where born in Late March bought a week old.

So Now I have moved some Water in a small waterer in the nesting box with the mom so the babies can drink. When do I move Start and grow in there for the Babies? Or should I do that now?

Thank you
James

Congratulations!

Welcome to BYC too!

My chicks usually start eating after 24 hours of being hatched...hope that helps!

OK awesome Thank you for the information. I just got a Bag of Start and Grow Medicated from the feed store. I am bad I guess seeing I am still feeding the mom and dad Layer along with Scratch. Should I stop feeding the layer?

Thank you
James

The layer feed isn't good for the chicks. Too much calcium and that damages their internal organs. You should feed the chicks the grower feed, but not allow them access to the layer feed. You have to figure out a way to do this that is convenient for you :).

OK great, I have added some Starter Grow Medicated for them today. It was so awesome to watch mom teach her babies how to scratch and get some bugs.I am not sure it was always like this but at times the mom is scratching and the babies get under there and get kicked around by the mom some times. Don't seem to hurt them but just want the babies to be ok. They are so cute. Late may we bought some baby Chicks are turning out really healthy and huge compared to the new mom Hen. Going to try and add a picture

A couple more pictures. I am going to add more Pine Shavings to the nest as soon as she has the rest. I Hope she has the rest that is. But she has been really active with the babies I wonder if the other eggs are just not good eggs and she hasn't moved them out yet. She has done a great job moving out bad eggs but wonder if this are still good or if I should just collect the last 3. I thought she only had 3 more but seeing now she has 5 live and 3 more eggs un hatched I don't know she hasn't moved them yet. Keeping an eye on them

Can you see any movement or hear any noises from the eggs? You might give them a few more days, then dispose of them if nothing else happens. I'd hate to smell one of those if it got broken and didn't have a live chick in it!

Mine will leave the unhatched eggs after two days of hatching chicks,,,they seem to lose interest and will no longer lay on the eggs...they will also kick the eggs away from the nesting area...I agree...a rotten egg is something you only want to smell NEVER...
sickbyc.gif
rotten duck eggs are especially an acquired taste...ugh!

Enjoy your wonderful chicks..natures miracle!

Well good news is then she has 5 babies. I am going nuts really. So worried about them making it. Been tempted to remove them and raise them for the next month so I kno they are ok. The chicks make so much noise and I have about 30 cats and 6 dogs as well. Not worried about the dogs and most of the cats all but the last 8 that were just dropped off a couple of weeks ago. The Hen and Rooster are in a small coop. Blacks in one and whites in another. NOt worried about the bigger chickens but the mom is kind of small so I am little worried. Also seems the babies are eating what ever the hen puts at them. They peck the food set for them but so does the rooster. He seems to want to eat a lot so I have now 3 types of food in there trying to make sure the baby chicks eat the right food. However the mom has moved them out of the box They are sleeping under her right now.

The 3 Feeds are Purina Scratch Grains, Start & Grow Medicated and Layers. Just don't know what to do for the hen to have the layer and not have her feed it to her babies? Put the Scratch in there for the Rooster...

Thank you for all the help
James

Back
Top Bottom