CHRONIC STRINGY BUMBLEFOOT

Aunt ruth

TheSpeckledBlonde
Sep 25, 2013
The South
I have been dealing with chronic stringy bumblefoot in my duccle. She has had it since June and I haven't been able to get rid of It 100%. I've done probably around 30 surgeries trying to get rid of it and it's not working. Someone suggested I give and injection in the foot. Does anyone have more info on that?

Are you sure your not just upsetting the scar tissue? We had a meat bird with severe bumble foot and after 3 surgeries per foot we realize that the infection was gone and that it was just lumpy scar tissue.

If your still seeing pus then you have to try another approach. I had a hen with a chronic case that penicillin injections would not cure. Finally after a week of clindamcin injections she is infection free. Do not inject in the foot. Injections are intramuscular and work best in the breast

this is a picture of it yesterday. After three months of surgeries. Ugg. Won't go away.

Clindamyacin injectable has to be ordered by a vet ( they might have it in stock). It is injected in to the breast two times a day at 12 hour intervals the dosage can be computed by your vet based on your birds weight. My bird weighs 4.6 lbs and was given 3.0 ml per shot using 1/2" 30guage insulin needles . She didn't seem to even notice I was giving her injections. I also kept her foot bandaged with Neosporin, gauze and vet wrap until it was COMPLETELY HEALED!

The Clindamyacin mentioned above is formulated for Fish and is for aquarium use only, not oral. Vets do have Clindamyacin oral drops but giving a chicken oral meds is risky and far less effective than injectable

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom