Has Anybody Ever Seen Eyes Like This?

Euarto Gullible

Songster
6 Years
Apr 14, 2013
Pueblo, CO``
I posted this topic in the Diseases section, but I want to reference it here in case somebody in their breeding has come across strange eyes like this and knows what this condition is called. I am not convinced that it is a disease, but rather suspect it is genetic but have no idea if it actually impairs the vision of chickens or is simply a cosmetic "defect."

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/919150/has-anybody-ever-seen-eyes-like-this

Thanks in advance for any advice.

That is a bit strange looking. It looks like the bird is missing the separation between the pupil and iris. I wouldn't be too concerned about it. Unless the birds seem discomforted or there is sudden blindness, they should be fine. It couldn't be a disease, so I think you posted it in the right place. It is completely possible that it is a genetic problem. Where did you get these birds from?

I hatched them for my own Olive Egger project from two completely different unrelated roosters. The hens were Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas, and F1 Olive Eggers. I had the eggs and chicks separated at hatch, but all the eyes looked normal when they were chicks. The younger one had blue eyes, which changed. The older one had gold eyes, which gradually got darker until there was only a ring of gold. I'm butchering the older one this weekend. I wish I knew which hen those chicks came from so I could cull her.

I was reading and I figured out that it could be Marek's Disease. They could have tumors in their eyes, which is causing irregular pupils and dilation. When this happens, it is also called "Gray Eye."

I actually sent photos to the lady who does NPIP testing and she said it's not Marek's and that she's seen birds with eyes like this. Another poster on a different forum said that his Splash Andulusians get eyes like that. Not the Blue or Black, only the Splash.

I actually sent photos to the lady who does NPIP testing and she said it's not Marek's and that she's seen birds with eyes like this. Another poster on a different forum said that his Splash Andulusians get eyes like that. Not the Blue or Black, only the Splash.
Oh, okay. I've never heard of them being that way. But I guess that's a good thing, right? Now you don't have to worry about genetical problems or diseases. :)

Back
Top Bottom