GMO-Free chicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sally_O

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 4, 2010
Kentucky
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this but I just ordered broilers and found these:
https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/freedom-ranger-chickens.asp

Ordered two batches of 25 -- that's enough killing for one day for this family. Hopefully they'll do well. That's all I'm ordering from now on!

If you don't know about GMO (and so many people don't!), this is a good documentary to start with:
http://GeneticRouletteMovie.com. You can rent online for $2.99.

Sally
Out in the woods in Kentucky

If you don't know about GMO (and so many people don't!), this is a good documentary to start with:
http://GeneticRouletteMovie.com. You can rent online for $2.99.
No, it's not. It's harmful propoganda, and we'd all be better off if people would actually do some research before forwarding along every piece of fear-mongering crap they see on the internet.

No, it's not. It's harmful propoganda, and we'd all be better off if people would actually do some research before forwarding along every piece of fear-mongering crap they see on the internet.

And what research do you speak of that supports gmo? I'm very curious.

If you're curious, do some research. StruckBy's links are a good place to start.

Here's another: http://theness.com/neurologicablog/?s=GMO

The entire "GMO's are the devil" meme comes from one study done by a guy named Seralini. The study was significantly flawed, and later retracted because it didn't meet the standards of peer review. The study showed formation of tumors in rats fed GMO corn exclusively - the main problem with the study was that the strain of lab rat he used is extremely prone to tumor formation - they're used to study anti-tumor drugs and such - and the tumor formation wasn't actually above the baseline for that strain of rat.

Every major health organization in the world has done significant research on GMOs - there is no evidence at this point of any harm, and there's no reason to believe any will be found. Simply put, splicing in a single gene is safer than mutagenic breeding (which is considered organic - it involves irradiating seeds), and less likely to exhibit unpredictable traits than conventional breeding.

I you're really interested, take a genetics course. I've never met anyone with a good understanding of genetics who thinks GMOs are anything to be afraid of.

As to my comment that the anti-gmo lobbying is harmful, I'd point you to these things:

Golden Rice - Rice that create's its own vitamin A. Vitamin A (beta carotene) deficiency is a huge problem in the undeveloped world, and leads to childhood blindness, and sometimes death. It's estimated that 5-10M children under the age of 5 die of vitamin A deficiency every year. http://www.goldenrice.org/

Arctic Apple - It's basically an apple missing the enzyme that causes apples to brown, lose nutrients, and go bad. They can be stored drastically longer, they're healthier than other stored apples, etc.

It's an awesome technology, (and yes, like any other technology you could do bad things with it), but it basically allows us to be way more selective about traits in foods, and that's a good thing. People are afraid of GMOs because they're ignorant of basic genetics and biology.

Haha, you gave yourself away by being so insulting. Tells me you have a dog in the fight. Who in your family grows GM crops receiving fat subsidy benefits? Or works for a GM tech company? Because anyone who researches GMOs -- which I've been doing for the last 8 years -- knows how dangerous they are.

Scientific American is no more scientific then Superman comicbooks. It's owned by its advertisers which include bio-tech and pharmaceutical companies. You might want to look at who funded any and all studies "proving" how safe GMOs are. It will require heavy-duty investigation, not all of it possible online. But the information is there.

GeneticRouletteMovie was produced by Jeffrey Smith, the acknowledged expert on GMOs. His website, ResponsibleTechnology.org is a good place to start. He's been doing this for many, many years and, while his conclusion is that GMOs are dangerous, that conclusion comes from research and independent international studies. You will find very well-documented information on that site.

Check your info on golden rice. It's incorrect. Food that can be stored forever is not technically food.

You should probably reread whatever you think you're talking about, because I don't think anyone has said that golden rice can be stored forever. Golden Rice is rice with Vitamin A.

Honey can be stored indefinitely (there's 5000+ year old edible honey), and it most certainly, technically, is food.

As to Jeffrey Smith, he's an activist with a management degree. He has no scientific background, has not published any peer reviewed papers, and has probably never taken a genetics class. His career prior to his activism is as a marketing consultant. He's basically the Jenny McCarthy of food.

Last edited:
Haha, you gave yourself away by being so insulting. Tells me you have a dog in the fight. Who in your family grows GM crops receiving fat subsidy benefits? Or works for a GM tech company? Because anyone who researches GMOs -- which I've been doing for the last 8 years -- knows how dangerous they are.

Scientific American is no more scientific then Superman comicbooks. It's owned by its advertisers which include bio-tech and pharmaceutical companies. You might want to look at who funded any and all studies "proving" how safe GMOs are. It will require heavy-duty investigation, not all of it possible online. But the information is there.

GeneticRouletteMovie was produced by Jeffrey Smith, the acknowledged expert on GMOs. His website, ResponsibleTechnology.org is a good place to start. He's been doing this for many, many years and, while his conclusion is that GMOs are dangerous, that conclusion comes from research and independent international studies. You will find very well-documented information on that site.

Could not agree with you more. My first birds are 5 years old and I have been doing them in. They have ovarian cancer and it's quite common among gmo eaters. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeffrey-smith/genetically-modified-soy_b_735528.html. I have been studying this for while but did not expect it to so dramatic in my own animals. Their diet will be entirely changing, I am not going to raise sick animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom