Old German owl

Rick1951

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 30, 2014
Branson Mo.
I have a beautiful old German owl hen show quality,she became very sick 6 weeks ago,fluffed up,runny poops,shaking,wouldn't eat,when trying to eat she would throw seed over her head,looked like PMV but it was paratyphoid,I quarantined her and her mate and treated her with 4 in 1 powder which covered all the things it could be,she never gave it to her mate,she was up on all vaccines before this,so she was current on pmv,she is back to 100% now,so I am wondering if she had paratyphoid will she be contagious to the rest of my flock,she is such a good mother and a beautiful bird. Anyone have any suggestions? The cock bird still remains healthy and has been with her thru all of this.

PMV also often runs in conjunction with paratyphoid (and also salmonella), so you may be right that she also had PMV. Ordinarily, birds that recover from PMV often still exhibit mild symptoms (tremors, erratic flight, strange behavior) for months.

Loftkeeper is correct that there is a risk that she can still be a carrier. In fact, even though it is suggested that Baytril is the only way to eliminate the possibility of a carrier, I am not convinced. I have seen birdsthat were treated with Baytril that were apparently still carriers.

Keep the hen and the cock in quarantine.

Her mate has never came down I'll or anything and he has been quarantined with her,she looks great,maybe I'll treat them both with baytril and see if it kills off any lingering virus that may be left. I will give her another 4 weeks quarantine and go from there. She was current on her pmv before she became sick.

People worry too much.. i have a group of birds that are with ones that had variou diseases when got or/and contracted later. Treat weak birds or cull, but i treated that group as only rollers at time, n now new group not showing trouble years later with them still. Strong birds dont get diseases as weak ones do from others mostly songbirds, rodents, n insects, around loft. if they are valuable then just keep with rest if want to, practicing daily loft scraping n water changes as most don't n then get weak sick birds, but know one way or other any or all can contract whatever it is/was, as most vets even just guess.

Last edited:
I have been scraping loft daily and sweeping foys loft dressing around the floor,the hen that was sick,is sitting on eggs right now and her cock never did come down sick,after she raises her young I will introduce her back into the loft,she and her mate are so tame and very nice birds,they both were being bullied by several cock birds in the loft,these two bullies will be sold this fall.

Think maybe she had something that just acted up from stress from them? In which case they've already been exposed, unless she is new. if it doesn't kill eggs to before out of squeaker stage of young, or cause canker or swelling n or lamness of joints, head n neck trouble/picking up food or drinking, you can rule out para typhiod n some others then.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom