Hen's Eggs Are Different Colors?

ajamichelle

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 13, 2014
New Mexico
Hello,

I'm new to chickens and the forum!

I have recently acquired two adult hens from an acquaintance. They were henpecked by their previous flock, but are settling in perfectly with mine. One is missing most of her feathers, but they're coming back in nicely. I think she's an Easter Egger.

I was under the impression that eggs laid by a hen are consistent in color.

The acquaintance told me she was getting blue eggs periodically. Her flock consisted of the suspected EE, an Australorp/jersey giant (the other hen I received from her, I'm not sure which she is), two barred rocks, and a leghorn.

I'm guessing the blue eggs were coming from the suspected EE. All of the eggs she's laid with me have been pink-blushed brown.

I've had them only a short period and they were pretty stressed out.

Only these two adult hens are laying, and I know the other to be either an Australorp or a Jersey Giant.

Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.

This is the hen

Hi! I am not sure if this helps or not, but the Australorp I has laid medium brown eggs. Could it be possible that one of the hens your friend kept laid the blue eggs? I have seen our hen's eggs get slightly lighter or darker, but no complete color changes. I'd ask your friend if she is still getting blue eggs.
Good luck, I hope the hens get their feathers back soon. It will be able to tell what kind of hens they are at that point!

Hi! I am not sure if this helps or not, but the Australorp I has laid medium brown eggs. Could it be possible that one of the hens your friend kept laid the blue eggs? I have seen our hen's eggs get slightly lighter or darker, but no complete color changes. I'd ask your friend if she is still getting blue eggs.
Good luck, I hope the hens get their feathers back soon. It will be able to tell what kind of hens they are at that point!

Hi! Thanks for your reply :)

I'm under the impression that barred rocks lay brown eggs and leghorns lay white eggs. Is it possible for either of these breeds to lay blue eggs? I'll confirm that she's not getting anymore blue eggs, but as of a few weeks ago, she wasn't. The possible Australorp/JG is also laying and hers are a medium light brown egg. Luckily, the possible EE sings an EXTREMELY raucous egg laying song and she didn't yesterday, then sure enough, when I went to collect, there was only the medium light brown egg.

Hi! Thanks for your reply :)

I'm under the impression that barred rocks lay brown eggs and leghorns lay white eggs. Is it possible for either of these breeds to lay blue eggs? I'll confirm that she's not getting anymore blue eggs, but as of a few weeks ago, she wasn't. The possible Australorp/JG is also laying and hers are a medium light brown egg. Luckily, the possible EE sings an EXTREMELY raucous egg laying song and she didn't yesterday, then sure enough, when I went to collect, there was only the medium light brown egg.
Correct. No way!

I do not think that is an EE......no beard, no pea comb(blue egg gene indicator) and no green legs.
Strange comb-not sure what it is flat like wyandotte but not quite, her breast feathers looks like my Welsummer pullet.

Ditto carolinasculpture, you'll probably just have to wait it out to see what her egg color is and for her feathers to grow out.

BTW your nipple pipe waterer should be up a bit higher, just above their head height works well, so when they stretch up to drink it rolls right into their beaks.

Last edited:
I agree, that is not a pea comb, it looks walnut combed.

My clean faced non pea combed ee lays pinkish brown eggs, my ee's with tufts and peacombs lay blue eggs, my wheaten ameracuna lays blue eggs.

It's great you got these pecked on chickens, their feathers should come back in great!

I'm trying to figure out where & how to hang my waterers and feeders. How high should nipple, waterers be? What about my flock being different sizes? My roo is very tall, especially compared to my 22 week old ee's.

My clean faced non pea combed ee lays pinkish brown eggs, my ee's with tufts and peacombs lay blue eggs, my wheaten ameracuna lays blue eggs.

It's great you got these pecked on chickens, their feathers should come back in great!

I'm trying to figure out where & how to hang my waterers and feeders. How high should nipple, waterers be? What about my flock being different sizes? My roo is very tall, especially compared to my 22 week old ee's.
I've read to put them just above the head of tallest bird then provide bricks blocks or something for the shorter ones to step up on....I do the block of wood or bricks in my coop with a regular waterer.

I do not think that is an EE......no beard, no pea comb(blue egg gene indicator) and no green legs.
Strange comb-not sure what it is flat like wyandotte but not quite, her breast feathers looks like my Welsummer pullet.

Ditto carolinasculpture, you'll probably just have to wait it out to see what her egg color is and for her feathers to grow out.

BTW your nipple pipe waterer should be up a bit higher, just above their head height works well, so when they stretch up to drink it rolls right into their beaks.

Thank you so much for your reply! Thanks for the advice on the nipple pipe waterer too! They're using it pretty efficiently, but I'll be sure to put it up higher when we move the pipe into the coop for the winter. :) I know that I have to wait for her feathers to grow out, but can you make some suggestions for some of the more common brown chickens matching her comb profile? I'm definitely going to look into wyandottes and welsummers! Thank you for the suggestions :)

Thank you for your reply!!! :)

How long do y'all think it will take for her feathers to grow in? They're coming in slowly, but less so on her neck, thanks to my roo.

Somebody better tell my girls they aren't all Easter Eggers then.
th.gif

Pearl lays large to extra large blue eggs. No beard, no muff, lighter green legs than the others.

Agatha, large blue eggs. Muffed, bearded, dark green legs.

Daphne, lays medium to large blue eggs. No muff, no beard, legs very light green.

Mathilda, medium to large blue eggs. Heavy beard, heavy muffs, dark green legs.

Gladys, small to medium blue eggs. Heavy muff, very little beard, dark green legs.

No two combs are exactly alike, but their eggs are! If it weren't for knowing which nest each one uses and the fact that so far only a couple are laying large eggs consistently, I wouldn't have a clue which eggs came from which girl. I think they didn't read the book.

Back
Top Bottom