Opinions on this coop

JensChickies

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2014
California

http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog...ican-Chicken-Coop-up-to-5-chickens-p1367.aspx

Anybody have experience with this coop?? It's on my pet chicken

These designs (see link) will be much more comfortable in all but very far northern climates, and will also give them the ventilation they need. Chickens do not suffer from cold down to well below freezing as long as they have shelter, but they can die from heat. The limited space makes pecking and feather pulling much more likely, as well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/163417/please-show-me-your-hot-weather-coops/0_20

As you can see from this design, even in snow areas, they do not need an enclosed coop:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/445004/woods-style-house-in-the-winter/0_20

The real question here is....how many chickens do you have or plan on having? If more than 2-3 large breed (such as Black Australorp, Wyondotte, Buff Orpingtons) this coop is waaaay too small.

Yes it does seem a little cozy. I have 3, but I will plan getting one more. 2 rocks and (soon) two langshans. My chickens free range so they are really only in their coop at night. My budget is about 600.00. I would loooove to have a walk in coop that is bigger and sturdy, I just don't have that kind of money right now or somebody that's willing to build it. Any suggestions for coops on a budget? :cd

Have you checked on Craigs List? Sometimes you can find old sheds people just want to get rid of if you'll come and break them down and take them. Just thinkin' ....
idunno.gif
But I sure wouldn't waste money on those pre-fab coops.

Last edited:
Have you checked on Craigs List? Sometimes you can find old sheds people just want to get rid of if you'll come and break them down and take them. Just thinkin' .... :idunno  But I sure wouldn't waste money on those pre-fab coops.

Oohhhhh good idea on Craigslist. I will check on sheds there.

A guy down the road from me, sometimes will even house a couple small breeds chickens in a old milk can, free range situation. I started with a small coop like the one you pictured. On second thought, I almost would have been just as happy with a large Igloo dog house.
Jim

You bet! I mean even if it's in 'rough' shape you can fix it up...let us know if you find one!! :weee

So with a shed do you build nesting boxes and put up perches for them to roost on? I think if I find a shed that needs a little loving I can get more bang for my buck and it will be better to keep the raccoons out.

So with a shed do you build nesting boxes and put up perches for them to roost on? I think if I find a shed that needs a little loving I can get more bang for my buck and it will be better to keep the raccoons out.
Absolutely! You know when I first got started and was researching, etc., to find the best fit for me, I went with a shed style, mostly because I'm an 'ol senior citizen and wanted to be able to walk in to tend the coop!
old.gif
The thought of having to get on all fours just doesn't cut it for me anyways. I bought a new shed LifeTime Sheds, it's 5' x 8', had some neighbors hehlp me put it together, then I built my run attached to it, putting a pophole on the one end. Now if I have to clean the coop, etc., I just lower the pop hole keeping the girls in the run and I can open both doors and have at it!

I built my nest boxes and roost bar/poop tray by myself (darn proud of myself, too!)

Back
Top Bottom