onions and celery

Absolutely! I feed my chickens scraps all the time. When you get time, read up on what they cannot eat. Chocolate, avocado, & foods that are rotten or moldy are all prohibited. I'm sure I am missing some things, so check it out more thoroughly. I cook up rice and pasta that has went a few months past their "best by" dates and feed them to the chickens. Also on occasion an egg will get cracked in the nest, or by me, or my daughter, I scramble it up for the chickens. Very little (if any)food gets wasted here.
big_smile.png

I feed my chickens a lot of scraps. They love watermelon and cantaloupe rinds!!! I read an article a couple months ago saying that chickens can eat almost any leftover garden scrap except rhubarb, onions, and potato peelings. I don't know if that is true or not but I will caution you on feeding them to many of those scraps.

I read up on the onion issue after SavageDestiny posted the previous post. Information does show that if onions are fed often or not in moderation, it can cause Heinz Anemia. I have always fed the chickens onions without any anemia issues, and had chickens for 2+years. Guess I have been very lucky. I will not feed them onion anymore. Thanks SavageDestiny for the post.

Thank you everyone for the great advice!! I will not feed them onions any more either. Thank you SavageDestiny for the info on the onions, I did it this once and am glad that I now know that I cannot do that!! I feed the girls all of the scraps from the house in the evenings after chores are done. I also free range them for a couple of hours a day. You all take care and thanks again for the great advice!

remember the that in small amounts like in any chili or potatoe saled or any thike that it will not hurt them at all ...it means giving them large amounts daily....and celery or any veggy does not have to be chopped up as they like pecking and keeps them busy...

Does it matter whether or not the onions are cooked? My girls love leftover red beans and rice. I use one medium onion for about 5 servings - it cooks in the crock pot all day.

Back
Top Bottom