Listening to daddy

Kneiley1

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 5, 2014
We all had a tragically learned lesson today. The kids have been told over and over not to go into the coop without us. Guess they snuck in, dogs in back and before we knew it 3 chickens dead and all traumatized. Kids in the coop while dog killed at least two, other dog got one trying to get out. We were able to find some chicks today, hated the thought of leaving her alone out there. Dang I am sad.

So sorry for your losses!
hit.gif

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
Well, you could put a lock on the coop and tell the kids they earned it.
Sigh,
Karen

Last edited:
So we got 7 day old chicks for our 1 remaining chicken. Was suggested I out brooder in coop with my single so she's not lonely. My only problem is a constant temp in brooder. 83-95 during day. Better for chicks to be hot or cold?

So we got 7 day old chicks for our 1 remaining chicken. Was suggested I out brooder in coop with my single so she's not lonely. My only problem is a constant temp in brooder. 83-95 during day. Better for chicks to be hot or cold?

It can be too hot and too cold, neither is good. That said, it doens't always have to be exactly 90 deg for day olds. What's your outdoor temps? Mine have been fine outside with no heat lamp since day one. Daytime highs are 95-100, nightly lows are 75-80. During the first few nights, I put them in their shipping box and they huddled together. I quit that last night and they just huddled together in the corner of the coop.

59 overnight tonight I can put the lamp on and it will stay above 80. Rest of the week highs in the upper 80s with lows 65-70. Pretty humid too

Based on my experience, I think you'll be fine with the heat lamp and 80. I would try to get it a little warmer if I could and keep a close eye on them.

Back
Top Bottom