how to get my mamma hen to get along with my other young chicks

catschwegel

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 12, 2013
Jefferson , Georgia
I recently have had 10 new baby chicks by my bantam cochin frizzle and my naked neck showgirl roo...I also have 4 chicks three are also theirs but hatched in the incubator plus a rhode island red/ silkie chick hatched with them in the bator...I recently put them in the coop together and the mamma chases the 4 and pulls their feathers..how should I get them to get along? I put my roo in with them as he is such a gentle creature, hoping if he fertilizes her enough she will let her young go and no longer chase the others to protect them as they are over a month old now and the four are about 3 months...will this work?

Do not force broody hens in with chicks / juveniles not their own. If hens did not behave as they do, those older young birds could a genuine threat to the younger chicks (sometimes mortal threat). If space tight, then house older young birds with rooster.

Having hens mated will not make them nicer. Generally speaking if rooster is fully adult, he will be much better around youngsters than a hen will be that is not broody ever chicks, regardless of relationship.

I recently have had 10 new baby chicks by my bantam cochin frizzle and my naked neck showgirl roo...I also have 4 chicks three are also theirs but hatched in the incubator plus a rhode island red/ silkie chick hatched with them in the bator...I recently put them in the coop together and the mamma chases the 4 and pulls their feathers..how should I get them to get along? I put my roo in with them as he is such a gentle creature, hoping if he fertilizes her enough she will let her young go and no longer chase the others to protect them as they are over a month old now and the four are about 3 months...will this work?
I have to agree, this is going to be a tough sell, tough enough that you will need to plan for another place for the odd man out four. The rooster and chicks suggestion might be your best option, but you might as well plan on some needed intervention, or mama will put an 'end' to the problem for you.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

As long as the momma isn't really hurting the others, and they have room to get away from her, let them be. She'll wean her chicks soon enough and then the littles will most likely make their own group.

this was my thought also...I have just let them do their thing...my coop has an upper level an a lower...the 4 have been staying up top while the others down below except at night they all sleep together(weird) beings during the day she wont let them around her...but today I noticed that she is starting to ween her lil ones(the ten new ones) and has started laying eggs again...im thinkin soon all will be okay...its been tough on me though...out there all the time checkin on em

Back
Top Bottom