What is the best roof for top of coop?

Chickadee-23

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
South Carolina
I want to close the top of the whole coop right now i have garden net on top and i want to put either metal roof or clear plastic, their coop is mostly in the shade, but the sun shines thro parts of the coop, so what be better metal or clear plastic? Thanks :)

I would recommend a clear plastic roof. I have a clear plastic roof on the top of my coop, and it works well. It lets in plenty of light, is rather durable, and doesn't heat up too much. My coop is in both sun and shade during the day, but I haven't had any problems with it getting too hot/stuffy inside.

The coop(where they sleep and roost) or the run(where they spend the day)?

I'm assuming that you mean the run, because you say it's now covered in garden netting.

I would think in SC, with the heat that can happen there, you'd want some good solid shade as well as to provide rain shelter....so I'd go with metal....or part metal and part clear.

I used white SunTuf roofing panels and would recommend against it, unless constantly in shade. The greenhouse effect makes it quite warm inside. Gets over 90 even on a mild spring morning if the sun is out. My coop is in the shade from 2:00PM onward, but still heats up. I would think clear panels would be even worse. Search through these forums and you will find others with the same issue. I also sometimes worry that a raccoon could chew a hole thru them. Doing it over I think I would use metal ag-panels of some sort but since I haven't done that I'm not aware of the down sides. I think condensation would be an issue, and maybe heat transference. I think the best roof might just be plywood with plastic or metal panels or shingles on top. That would give shade and would have no condensation or heat issues. If you have large ventilation panels or windows I believe that is sufficient for interior lighting.

I have the clear plastic panels mounted on some plywood-kinda-stuff I inherited. Otherwise, I think the wind would whip them to shreds. Here is my latest pallet build, Fort Feather.

(My coop seems to have a soft sheet of roofing material that requires aluminum-reflective-type paint. You can see if folded over the front. The coop does get HOT in the summer. I added the windows and fans.)

Last edited:
Ok thanks ya'll yes was talking about the run, they have a small temporary house to go in but it dont have room for food n water bowls so when it rains there food gets wet so im investing in a roof for them, plus I'm in process of building them a better house

I have corrugated metal and would recommend it. It's very durable, stays cool, and keeps the direct sunlight off whatever is inside. That's good for the hot days, however you give up the lighting.

Metal 110% easier to install and lasts way longer, also won't leach any chemicals, and stronger!

I have corrugated metal and would recommend it. It's very durable, stays cool, and keeps the direct sunlight off whatever is inside. That's good for the hot days, however you give up the lighting.

Same here. Can't say enough nice things about it. It's cheap, easy to install, keeps the coop cool (mine is well vented). The chickens move themselves inside during the hottest part of the day - it's cooler in there than outside because of the shade. My sheep sleep during the hottest part of the day on the north side of the coop - use the shade.

Back
Top Bottom