Now onto second round of raising hens

urbanchicklove

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 25, 2014
I'm new to this site but not new to raising hens. I started raising chicks in 2008, lost three to raccoons the first year, then lost one to heat stroke and another to old age. Now with three old ladies who lay occasionally, I've started a new batch of mixed breed chicks in the spring. Since my coop was occupied, I started the babies inside, then moved them to garage and finally out to the coop in July. The girls still seem to separate into the young'uns and the matriarchs.

Most disturbing, our nicest friendliest girl named Anna, is turning out to be a Rooster.

We are vegetarians so won't eat him. Now I'm looking for a new home for him before he starts to crow and the neighbors complain.

A friend turned me on to this site. I've known about BackYardChickens.com for years but I'm not an active Forum person, but now seemed like time to join.

If anyone has suggestions or wants to adopt my beautiful New Hampshire Red, let me know. I'm in the Boston area.

Greetings from Oregon
welcome-byc.gif

Check out the predator threads so you can beef up security and prevent attacks on your new birds. Once a predator gets an easy meal it will keep coming back unless you make it too difficult for him to get to your birds. Otherwise you will have to keep replacing birds.

Back
Top Bottom