My chicken keeps falling over

harrietjayne

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
Hi guys I'm new to this bit was wondering if you could help me. I have a little bantam chicken called starlight but she keeps on falling over and has runny poos she's unstable on grass and sometimes the wind can nock her over. She's fed on corn and warm pellet mash. She's in the house but is sometimes cold so has a warm water bottle.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!
smile.png

I'm sorry about Starlight. How old is she? Does she seem to have lost weight? She could be weak due to worms, external parasites, or some sort of other internal problem. Or she could have a balance problem, either due to a neurological disease like Marek's, or a bacterial problem like an ear infection. I would thoroughly check all parts of her body. Look for moving specks beneath the feathers (mites), swelling, nasal discharge, strangely colored spots, etc.

For more answers, I would also post Starlight's problem on the emergencies section of this forum: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck with her!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Sorry to hear about Starlight. Bantamlover21's given you some good advice. Definitely go look at the Emergencies section and post there; I'm sure many people will help you and Starlight there!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 on post in the Emergencies forum BantamLover21 linked for you, hope Starlight recovers.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am so sorry about your bird.
hugs.gif
Definitely post in our emergency section. I hope someone can help you there.

Does it appear she has had a stroke or a seizure? Has she had any injuries like pecks to the head, etc.?

How old is she? If she is a young chick( under 6-8 weeks old) she probably still needs a heat lamp. If she is older, bantams tend to feel the cold more than larger breeds. My friend has two serama hens((house pets) and when their feet get cold they sit on her lap until they warm up.

Do you know what breed of bantam she is?

Back
Top Bottom