Switching to layer at 16 weeks?

Branch Chickens

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 17, 2014
China, Maine
Just found some mold in our feed bag, so we're tossing it and heading out to buy new feed.
The old bag we said to change from the starter/grower to layer at 16 weeks, but I know our dual purpose ladies won't start laying for several more weeks. They are 17 weeks as of yesterday. Should we go ahead and switch to the layer feed?

It is fine to switch from starter/grower to layer now. Usually, anytime after 16 weeks is okay to start feeding layers feed that contains extra calcium--you just don't want to overload their immature systems with calcium before then.

Last edited:
Just found some mold in our feed bag, so we're tossing it and heading out to buy new feed.
The old bag we said to change from the starter/grower to layer at 16 weeks, but I know our dual purpose ladies won't start laying for several more weeks. They are 17 weeks as of yesterday. Should we go ahead and switch to the layer feed?
It's all up to you. Here's 2 options.

1.) You can keep them on grower until you get your first egg. Once you get the first egg then you can switch your whole flock to layer. That way the chickens aren't eating excess calcium before their bodies start laying.
2.) You feed them the layer feed now and then when they lay their bodies will already have a lot of calcium to help their eggs be firm.

It's all a preference. We started our birds with layer feed at 18 weeks and they are still healthy to this day.

I think that its fine to start the layer feed now. They should be starting laying in a couple of weeks, and the layer feed will help them prepare for that. I've switched my birds to layerr feed in the past around this time, and my birds have been fine.

Back
Top Bottom