FIRST Egg this morning!

rebcart1905

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
Princeton, Minnesota
Its a joyous Christmas in August here at our farm, one of our Buffs or Runners layed their first egg sometime between 7pm and 10am this morning :) Its about the size of a medium/large chicken egg....very dirty of course ;-) Now what do YOU guys do with your eggs and shells? how do you wash them and store them etc... its our FIRST ever so I want to do it right! Can you recycle your shells with ducks like they do with chickens? If so do you wash them inside/out, dry and crumble up and put into feed? so many questions...

If mine are heavily soiled I toss them. If it's slightly soiled I just use a damp paper towel and wipe the smudge then stick it in the fridge. If there's no mark I leave it and only rinse them right before I use them. I have left my crumbled egg shells out and my chickens eat them, but my ducks are never interested. I just crunch them up and stick them in a bowl. Sometimes if I mix the shells with scrambled or hard boiled eggs all mashed up the ducks will eat the eggs.

Congrats on the first egg by the way!
smile.png

If your egg is dirty, use a paper towel, and wet it with warm (NOT HOT) water. Gently rub the debris off of the egg. Use a dry paper towel to dry off the egg. Set it aside to be sure it's fully dry. Then put it in the refrigerator. Don't soak the egg, and don't use cold or cool water; that will cause the contents to contract, thereby pulling contamination into the egg. Warm water will cause he contents to slightly expand, keeping out any potential contaminants. I read this on the chicken-chick site.

Congratulation on the first egg! If our eggs are heavily soiled we toss. If lightly soiled, we wipe them down with a damp paper towel. If the shells are thin, we start checking our girls to see if any are showing signs of illness. Egg shells are good for numerous things, including crushing them up for the calcium for the chicks to eat.

Back
Top Bottom