I'm new

vlippert

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 26, 2014
Hi there. I own Dominique and Brahma chickens. They all free range. The Brahmas are a new addition this year. If they crossbreed will it ruin the hens bloodlines like it does in dogs?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

If they interbreed the offspring won't be pure breeds anymore. But lots of us own Mutt chickens. LOL So unless you are raising pure breed show birds, it isn't a problem as far as the birds are concerned. :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

If they interbreed the offspring won't be pure breeds anymore. But lots of us own Mutt chickens. LOL So unless you are raising pure breed show birds, it isn't a problem as far as the birds are concerned. :)
i'm wondering what my buff's and supposedly RIR's mix will look like,i won't mind at all though,to me chick's are chick's,on the RIR's since joining i have learned that most aren't the orginal antique breed,but i'm ok with that,i love the all
love.gif

I have heard that about the RIR too. Efowl sells two kinds. I don't care about them crossing, but I would like to know if I can separate them later and still use them for purebreeds. The biggest reason being because the Dominiques are an endangered heritage breed and I thought about trying to preserve the breed in the future.

I have heard in dogs it will make the female not a purebred anymore. They all free range now and tend to stay in their own separate groups. We were gonna build a chickens tractor for the Brahmas, but haven't had time. I'm pretty sure I got my first egg from them since it's so small although they are only 3 months old right now.

I have heard that about the RIR too. Efowl sells two kinds. I don't care about them crossing, but I would like to know if I can separate them later and still use them for purebreeds. The biggest reason being because the Dominiques are an endangered heritage breed and I thought about trying to preserve the breed in the future.
yea,i love them,would like to have the orginal one's but i'm new to this so i have no idea,the man i got them from is older and raises buffs and RIR's on his private farm,they are all healthy and doing great,i'm thankful for that,i hope you get your new coop soon,we just finished the north wall in our coop tonight,well much earlier,lol,good luck
hugs.gif

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us! If you let them crossbreed the offspring will not be purebred. The female and male are what they are, you can't change their genetic make-up. Hens store sperm for up to 4 weeks after a single successful mating, so in order to produce purebred offspring you will need to keep the two different breeds separate for at least a month prior to collecting eggs for hatching.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom