Wrong end up Incubation, please help

jomomma

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 18, 2012
Bailey, CO. 9280ft. elevation
This is my second go around with hatching. First time I got seven chicks out of 20, they are doing great. This time I set another 20, established more consistent humidity levels and it dawned on me at day 21 that I had set all the eggs pointed side up! I have been kicking myself, I am so sad. I waited until day 25 and not a single egg has pipped. I just did the float test. Every single one is floating. I put them all back in the bator, this time with the air cell up. Is there any hope for these chicks? since I muffed it up so badly from the door, is there anything I can, should be doing now? I feel awful, any help is appreciated.

This late in the hatch, all you can do is make sure the air pocket is up, and hope for the best. You probably
won't get a very good hatch, but some might make it. I have caught eggs that were upside down after a week and
had pretty good luck turning them over, but longer than that and the rate drops pretty quickly.

I would say after 25 days it is time to call it a lesson learned and set some new eggs.
I know that's probably not what you were hoping to hear.

Did you stop turning day 18 when you went into lockdown? Are you hatching in egg cartons? Or did you lay them on their sides at lock down? Also were they set upright in bator with pointy side up? Sorry for all questions but back ground is helpful. Also have you candled to see what air sac looks like or for any sign of movement.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply, I am using a Farm Innovators Pro series 4200 inncubator with a fan and auto turner. I stopped the auto turner at day 18 and upped the humidity. The eggs have pointed side up the entire hatch.

I have not candled, i did hear some cheeping in day 22, but the motor is loud and kinda drowns out noises. I took advice from another chicken person who said to not intervene until after day 25, that's when i did the float test. All set low in the water, so i put them in the bator again with the air sacs (broad end) up. would they float like that even if the eggs were duds or chicks expired?
I dread what needs to be undertaken, if I start to open them where do I begin. the other party stopped responding to me a few days ago.

To be honest with you, you will be lucky to hatch even 1 chick. Sorry. It's a learning curve.

If you feel you need to look in the eggs I would candle and look for the air sacs. Then start by making a small hole in the air sac just to see what is going on there.

Back
Top Bottom