Using gallon paint can for waterer

AllisonWndrlnd1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 16, 2014
Richfield Mn
I'm getting 3 chickens this spring and want to make a nipple waterer. I don't love the looks of the plastic buckets that most people use and was wondering if there was a reason I shouldn't use a paint bucket. Or if anyone knows of a small (1-2 gallon) bucket with lid.

I'm getting 3 chickens this spring and want to make a nipple waterer. I don't love the looks of the plastic buckets that most people use and was wondering if there was a reason I shouldn't use a paint bucket. Or if anyone knows of a small (1-2 gallon) bucket with lid.

rust would be the first issue I would worry about if it's a metal paint can.

There are lots of smaller buckets out there, try asking at restaurants and bakeries to see what sizes they might have.

Rust can be a issue if its metal, my main concern would be the chemicals that was in the paint that could seep into the water.

I was thinking the metal paint cans that never had paint in them. So the paint chemicals won't be an issue. My concern was the rusting but I was hoping that paint cans wouldn't be too bad cause they hold liquids for years. I also have to think about heating it in the winter and wanted to use an aquarium heater. I was worried about melting with plastic.

Interesting, it might be worth trying it out but it will rust in time though. You could get paint can size heavy plastic buckets and still beable to use aquarium heaters in them.

I'm thinking in gonna give it a try. They're so cheap to make that I can make a new one every year with out it breaking the bank. I'm getting a metal rat proof feeder so I'd like for them to match. If it gets really annoying I'll switch to plastic. I'll post pictures and let everyone know how it goes! Thanks for the help

Get a few more chickens they will keep your rodent problem down, chickens are the decendant of the T-Rex

Back
Top Bottom