Is she broody?

Redgate

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 14, 2014
I'm still a newbie to chickens

I think one of my hens is broody, she is spending all of her time in the coop. I've taken her out of the nest box twice today to collect the eggs, she's had something to eat and drink and she was off back into the coop. When she was out she was just her normal self.

I've checked her over and she seems completely fine.

She is a Hybrid, A Golden rock.

Is she broody?

Also if she is we will be getting some hatching eggs so if you have any tips or links to websites with advise it would be appreciated.

Thanks

It sounds like she's broody. Can you stick some fake eggs in there for a bit to really test her? She may be playing with the idea and not be "ready".

If she sits on the fake eggs for several days then I would think its safe to put some fertile eggs underneath her. You may want to look into an incubator just in case she decides she doesn't want to follow through. Next you'll want a back up brooder in case she hatches them and doesn't want to raise them.

Best of luck to you :) It's a very neat experience to have your hen hatch out her own chicks.

Thank you very much for the advice I have bought some fake eggs today and put them in the nest box this afternoon.

I'll keep an eye on her over the next couple of day and potentially get some hatching eggs!.

It's all very exciting :D

Will I need to get her a separate coop or will she be fine in with my other girls?

That very much depends on the temperament of your flock. All of my hens do their hatching in the coop. Even if I have to cage them, they're still in the coop, so I don't have to deal with introducing them back. Some of my hens are nest jumpers, easily confused, hence the need for them to be separated.
If she stays put, I would recommend marking the eggs you want her to hatch with a sharpie, that way you can collect any new eggs put in the nest to keep her from getting too many (unless the hatching eggs you get are obviously different from your own).

Good luck!

I marked mine and left the girls. I tried moving one once and she got all flustered so we ended that. Both hatched a chick the same day. That next day I moved them to their own separate mini coop because my nest boxes are too high for a chick to get in and out of. I didn't want to do it the day of because I wanted to give the chicks a chance to dry out and warm up.

After about 5 days I let the Hens free range with their chicks supervised. I got lucky. My two broodys took a few days to adjust to each other, but the flock (rooster included) did great right off the bat. By a week old everyone was free ranging together all day. Every night they went back to their mini coop.

At five weeks the Mama hens took their chicks into the main coop on their own. No muss, no fuss, they did all the work. They're now 7 1/2 weeks and still cruise around with the Mamas.

I really hope it works out for you it is such a rewarding experience for both you and your hen. :)

Back
Top Bottom