RG Pheasant Broke Her Leg

Vosify

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 29, 2013
Sask, Canada
Not sure how it happened. She's young, and in with her two brothers. Could they have fought? Their only about 4 months.

No noticeable wound she's just laying around an wouldn't use her leg. Feels like it's broke right before her knee? Joint.

What I've already done.

- Put a splint on (which actually seems to have helped a lot already)
- Separated her.
- Made food and water easily accessible.
- Gave her lots of cover to hide.

My question is how long should the splint be on?

She's moving her toes and their not all curled up, she sets her foot down normal. Just won't put weight on it. I'll keep my eyes peeled just in case I made it to tight. Don't want her to lose circulation.

Anyone else have advice or prior experience with this?

Been trying to add a picture and am having a heck of a time XD

Sorry to hear you are having a problem. I have had a ringneck and a LA that broke their leg and and as long as you keep the food and water close it should heal. Also if you didn't set it right you may cause more damage by putting something on it. It will heal but it will be awhile so don't put her back in with the others.

Thank you! Also she won't be going in with anyone until probably late October when my new male comes. Her brothers are off to their new homes this coming month. So she will have plenty of time to heal. Or is that not enough time?

As for the break. There is very little movement, just enough to know it's broken. So I'm hoping I set it well enough. I just wanted the splint on to make sure she didn't get spooked and bent the leg more before it got a chance to start healing.

The splint isn't to tight, she puts her foot down and uses her toes, just won't put weight on it or use it.

Back
Top Bottom