Mixing Baby Chicks

ProjectChick

Songster
5 Years
Aug 23, 2014
Iowa
My Coop
My Coop
We currently have 3, 2 week old chicks at home. We are planning to bring home 2, 5 week old chicks. At what age will it be safe to put them together? Should I do it right away?

Thanks

What about 1 week old chicks with day old chicks etc, from the same person? I'm getting days old chicks from my friend I have 5 week old chicks from. Is a separate brooder box needed? And I'm getting chicks in 2 more weeks and the week after that, how to integrate?

What about 1 week old chicks with day old chicks etc, from the same person? I'm getting days old chicks from my friend I have 5 week old chicks from. Is a separate brooder box needed? And I'm getting chicks in 2 more weeks and the week after that, how to integrate?

That is a lot of different ages and sizes of chicks. The one week old chicks and day old chicks should do fine together, I pop new chicks into the brooder at that age all the time up to a week or so of age. Just watch them at first, it's usually not a problem. I would not put the 5 week old chicks in with these younger ones though, that is too much size difference. If the chicks you are getting in two weeks, and then more a week after that, are day olds you'll need to put them in their own brooder. At least that is what I would do. It's just too easy for very small chicks to get bullied or picked on by much larger ones or kept away from food/water.

Keep in mind that with so many different chicks of different ages coming in, the threat of coccidiosis is going to be even higher then usual.

I think I wasn't quite clear, I have 5 x 1 week old chicks, getting more chicks from my same friend from the same parents hatched this past week, and several chicks a week for the next few weeks (from same person, same parents of chicks etc.

So I have (5) 1 week old chicks, picking up (4) more days old chicks. I have medicated chick starter, corid etc, as I have flocks of chickens currently.

Until the new chicks are old enough to add to my flock of layers, and/or the 3rd coop/run being built, they'll stay in brooder boxes. Atm the main brooder box is in my master bathroom, but we're building a bigger one from old doors and screen door top in the barn for the ayam cemani, svart honas, bresse & ayam cemani x orpington chicks. A total of probably 25 chicks over a 3-4 week period as they hatch. I'm sorry I wasn't clear, I know not to put 5 week old chicks with day old chicks, but was curious as to when to separate out chicks by age, as I'm just adding them as they hatch from my friend's incubators over a period of about a month.

If they're all from the same source, I wouldn't bother with quarantine.

Anyway, I mix chicks of different ages frequently. Right now I have just hatched chicks in with 2 week olds and all is well. Even at 2 weeks old there is a very significant size difference between them.

My advice would be to go ahead and put them together, but have a back up brooder ready just in case. If you notice the bigs picking on the littles excessively, remove them at once. When I mixed mine, the bigger chicks were interested in the little chicks toes and egg tooth for a few minutes, then they all settled under the light for a nap.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks! I have several brooder boxes, but it's way more easy for me to have just one big box lol.

I'm new to chickens, especially baby chicks, so this is a big learning experience for me.

Oh, believe me, I completely understand! I have 3 separate coops and 4 brooders! Its a pain to deal with them when they're all in use, so I try to mix chicks in 1 brooder as much as I can ;)

Well it seems like no worries for this week, I just picked up 2 chicks from my friend and they're the same size as the chicks I already have from her, so that's a relief!

Back
Top Bottom